Visitor Services Agent- Facilities Operator
General Summary: As a member of the Visitor Services team, the Facilities Operator will maintain and clean the Zoo’s buildings, grounds, and guest areas. The Facilities Operator is responsible for acting as one of the trainers for the daily operations custodial staff at the Zoo. This position will report to the Visitor Services Facilities Manager, Visitor Services Manager(s), and/ or the Director of Visitor Services Operations.
- Interact in a consistently pleasant and helpful manner to fellow employees, guests, vendors, and other visitors of the Zoo and demonstrate the highest standards of internal and external customer service;
- Act as a lead trainer for the daily operations custodial staff at the Zoo to ensure maximum guest service;
- Maintain sanitary conditions of the non-public and public restrooms within the zoo grounds;
- Order janitorial and bathroom supplies, store and stock supplies, and distribute appropriately;
- Stock specified areas with necessary supplies on at least a weekly basis;
- Clean all rooms and/or rental spaces as assigned, including walls, floors and windows;
- Sweep, mop, strip wax, and buff floors, sweep and hose walkways;
- Remove trash from public areas, empty trash cans, and take debris to dump;
- Check light bulbs periodically and replace as needed;
- Implement pest management strategies;
- Wear appropriate personal protective gear provided by the Zoo;
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with blood borne pathogens and zoonotic disease prevention protocols and procedures;
- Assist other staff with large tasks and special projects;
- Operate company truck and golf cart to successfully perform duties on campus
- Perform minor grounds maintenance such as snow removal and spreading ice melt.
- Utilize small engine equipment as needed.
- Provide guests with information on all aspects of the Zoo experience such as exhibits, on-ground activities (including times and locations), routes through the Zoo, construction, shuttles, and membership information;
- Provide guest control, including challenging situations;
- Use a campus wide radio system to communicate information;
- Ensure guest safety at all times;
- Perform other duties as assigned; and
- Adhere to all policies and procedures of the Zoo.
Communication (Internal and External):
- Responsible for keeping Director, Managers, and Supervisors fully updated on any issues that may occur during daily operations including the need for necessary repairs;
- Respond appropriately to guests’ questions, comments, or concerns;
- Communicate with management and coworkers by radio contact as needed following Zoo radio etiquette and protocol at all times; and,
- Contact an appropriate staff member necessary to resolve guest issues.
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
- Assist in training new and returning seasonal staff in policies and procedures, reinforce the training on an ongoing basis; and,
- Assist in maintaining accurate documentation in compliance with safety standards to include daily checklists, maintenance logs, and training hour logs.
- Friendly and outgoing;
- Possess a positive and patient attitude;
- Possess excellent verbal communication skills; and,
- Adaptability and willingness to work until the last guest has left Zoo grounds each scheduled day.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of six months related experience and/or training;
- Prior custodial experience preferred; and,
- Required to possess a valid driver’s license.
- Required to attend and complete an onsite ladder safety training course.
- Must be able to stand and remain active for an eight hour shift;
- Must be able to walk large areas of the Zoo as needed;
- Must be able to work in an outdoor weather environment in all seasons and weather, including heat/humidity, cold temperatures, and/or wet conditions;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays, and special events; and,
- Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force to lift, push, pull, carry, or otherwise move objects.
- Must be able to operate a variety of equipment including computer, telephone, two-way radio, and janitorial equipment;
- Must be able to operate a variety of small engine and electric machines including but not limited to snow/ leaf backpack blower, floor polisher, and rug cleaner;
- Must be able to use cleaning tools, hand tools, gardening tools, carpentry tools; and cleaning supplies;
- Must be trained to use ladder appropriately; and,
- Must be able to drive pick-up truck and golf cart.
- Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds; and,
- Ability to identify and resolve guest issues.
Disclaimer: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified. Therefore, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position