Seasonal Summer Camp Assistant
Summer Camp Assistant
ArtsQuest Values Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging.
Our employees are the most valuable assets we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and the organization’s achievement as well.
At ArtsQuest a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace is one where all employees feel valued and respected whatever their age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, and/or veteran status. We embrace and encourage our employees’ characteristics that make them unique, because we value and appreciate diverse life experiences.
Reports to: Visual Arts Manager
Direct Reports: None
This is an opportunity for individuals who are passionate about art and art education to gain working knowledge and build their portfolios and resumes. Summer Staff will gain classroom and lesson plan experience and build confidence through working with children attending the Banana Factory Arts Center’s Summer Art Camps, special summer festivals and events, and Familienplatz Children’s Craft Tent at Musikfest. Summer Staff will assist professional, experienced Teaching Artists with administering lesson plans and curriculum. Classes include ceramics, photography, painting, drawing, crafts, mixed media, glass, etc.
- Assist teaching artists with their summer camp projects.
- Assist teaching artists with classroom management in both camp and at special events/festivals.
- Assist with procuring supplies, prep, and clean-up of materials.
- Assist with before and after-camp care programs.
- Research and prepare materials for craft projects and community offered during summer festivals and Musikfest.
- Staff summer festival and Musikfest craft areas.
- Responsible for other duties as deemed appropriate and assigned by members of Visual Arts and Education department.
Duration of Position: June 1, 2020 through August 21, 2020
Hours of Work:
During Summer Camps: Assistants will work an average of 25 hours week, Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm or 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Shifts will rotate weekly. Camps run June 15- July 24 and August 10th-August 21st.
During Musikfest (July 31st – August 9th): Assistants will work split shifts from 11 am to 9:30 pm for all 10 days of the festival.
Camp Assistants are required to be available and able to work during the hours
outlines above. Occasional evenings, weekends and holidays may be required for
other children’s activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree preferred in early childhood education, fine art, art history or equivalent work experience; High School Diploma Required
- Previous experience working with children is desired
- Must have the ability and desire to work in a team environment
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English; bi-lingual ability in Spanish or other language is a plus
- Criminal History and PA Child Abuse Clearances required
- Must enjoy working with children and the arts
- Knowledge of visual arts desired
- Strong problem-solving skills and creativity are desired
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to interact with both children and adults
- Reliable transportation to travel between facilities as needed
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel frequently
- Ability to see, hear, speak, and listen frequently
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 25 pounds occasionally with or without assistance or reasonable accommodation
- Ability to work indoors in the air conditioning and outdoors in all types of weather conditions when necessary
Seasonal staff who work through Musikfest will be eligible to receive an additional $350 bonus!
*Must be able to commit to working a minimum of 5 shifts (a single shift is defined as a scheduled 5 hours) for a total of 25 hours over the course of Musikfest, to be eligible to receive the bonus.
2022 Musikfest Dates: August 5-15.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Seasonal/Hourly
ArtsQuest is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.