Swing Supervisor (Recycling and Waste Centre)
If you are an experienced, energetic and customer-focused professional, interested in joining a dynamic family-owned entrepreneurial organization where you can make a difference, then look no further! We are looking for an individual who shares our passion for the green economy and who strives for excellence in customer service and leading employees in operations.
Emterra operates four of the larger Metro Vancouver Recycling and Waste Centres that are located throughout the Lower Mainland. These facilities receive large volumes of waste that are consolidated and shipped to various destinations in western North America. In addition, each facility contains comprehensive recycling depots that divert materials away from disposal and into the green economy.
The Recycling and Waste Centres are open 363 days per year. Applicants must be willing and able to work four-day rotating shifts (i.e. four days working and four days off).
We are looking for a swing supervisor to cover the supervisors during annual leave, sick leave, or any other operational requirements. You will also cover night shift operations on a rotational basis, for example, 3 days in the morning and 2 days in the evening. The schedule might change anytime with 2 days advance notice.
The swing supervisor must be flexible to work with various teams in 4 sites and have the skills to manage emergency or safety requirements during night shift operations.
Working across the 4 centers as a swing supervisor is a great opportunity to extend your waste management experience, and it is the best career path to apply for a future site manager role if you demonstrate outstanding performance with a leadership sense.
The company will provide extensive training and orientation to support the swing supervisor in performing his/her daily tasks.
What will you do?
Ø Supervise, coordinate and schedule the activities of staff in accordance with the terms of the collective agreement in place;
Ø Assume a lead role in all aspects of safety on the site including providing site orientations, chairing crew safety meetings, conducting tailgate meetings, and leading incident investigations;
Ø Hire, coach, and apply progressive discipline (if necessary) of staff in accordance with Company policies and within the terms of the collective agreement in place;
Ø Under the direction of the Site Manager, ensure that the Recycling and Waste Centre meets all requirements from Metro Vancouver, regulatory bodies and Company expectations;
Ø Ensure outbound garbage and recyclable materials meet disposal/recycle facility specifications;
Ø Coordinate with the maintenance team to ensure preventative maintenance is performed on schedule on mobile and stationary equipment so that downtime is minimized;
Ø Monitor and manage onsite inventories of all materials to ensure compliance with contractual and regulatory requirements;
Ø Ensure detailed coordination and communication with other shift supervisors;
Ø Prepare production, inventory and other reports as necessary;
Ø Train personnel on operations, specifications for outbound materials and safety procedures;
Ø Provide recommendations to improve production, service levels and safety;
Ø Perform other duties as assigned.
What will you bring?
- Job related post-secondary education considered an asset;
- Computer skills necessary with an emphasis on excel and business emails.
- Minimum 2-3 years previous experience in a supervisory role, preferably in a manufacturing or heavy industry environment;
- Must be pro-active and willing to learn.
- Must have good interpersonal skills, both verbal and written;
- Experience running and operating excavators, loaders, forklift and/or skid-steer an asset, but not necessary;
- An ability and willingness to work shift work (Day/Night/Weekends)
- A friendly personality combined with a “roll-up your sleeves and get it done” attitude!
- A good sense of humour is considered an asset.
What do we have to offer you?
- Opportunity to be part of one of Canada’s Greenest Employers!
- Competitive wages and annual wage increases!
- Comprehensive health benefits (drug, dental, vision, LTD, life insurance)!
- Employee Assistance Program, paid for by the Company!
- Tuition reimbursement program and professional development support!
- Be part of an entrepreneurial organization that wants to continue to learn and grow!
- Ability to have impact and make change!
Are you ready to jumpstart your career by joining one of Canada’s Greenest Employers and become part of the environmental solution? If so, apply now! We appreciate all applicants who apply however only those who are qualified, will be contacted.
Emterra Group is committed to maintaining an equitable, fair, and diverse environment. Any applicants who have a disability or require reasonable accommodation may speak directly with our Human Resources Department. Reasonable accommodations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position