POSITION: Truck Driver for Liberty Ministries Thrift
REPORTS TO: Logistics & Production Manager
Liberty Ministries exists to serve offenders in prison and ex-offenders in the community by showing God’s love, providing practical assistance, and supporting Biblical standards of justice.
The Truck Driver for Liberty Thrift & Home Furnishings is responsible for the operation and execution of the daily trucking operation. They have daily pick-ups that need to be completed in a timely manner and when deliveries are scheduled, they are to complete them as agreed with the customer. Errands will need to be made for the stores through the trucking operation to transport merchandise and donations between stores as well as other locations. When not on the truck, the drivers (and assistants) are required to work at one of the store locations in whatever capacity needed. Hours 4-8PM.
PRINCIPLE JOB FUNCTIONS:
- First and foremost, the truck driver is responsible for everything that happens with, on, or around the truck(s). This includes accidents, speeding tickets, or other types of violations involving the trucks.
- The driver is responsible for the passengers in the truck(s) as well. The driver is responsible for not just their well-being but also for everything that the truck driver assistant needs to do.
- The driver needs to represent Liberty Thrift as well as Liberty Ministries in a positive manner. This includes assuring a customer-friendly, Christian environment and when opportunities arise, explaining the Ministry to customers, donors, volunteers, etc.
- The driver is in control of what is placed on the truck and what he will accept from the customers on a pick-up. They must never take things from a customer’s residence just to throw away. Everything that is placed on the truck must come to the store to be resold.
- The driver needs to write a tax receipt according to Liberty standards for items picked up.
- Must be in communication with the managers about what is being brought to a particular store, as well as the Regional Manager (or whoever is the contact person for the day) to allow the trucking operation to run as smoothly as possible.
- Must show initiative at the stores. This means that if there is some downtime, the driver must help in any capacity possible.
- Processing donations at the store is what happens in between pick-ups and deliveries.
- If anything happens to the truck, (i.e. accident) the driver must report that to the local authorities first. It must then be reported back to the Regional Manager.
- The drivers are responsible for the maintenance of the trucks. This means keeping it clean, filling with gas, and checking the oil.
- Drivers are responsible for reporting if there were any complications throughout the day, what was accepted/declined and any other changes that may have occurred.
- Drivers are accountable to follow policy and procedure at stores, warehouse and on the road for themselves and their assistants.
- Drivers are the responsibility for securing the vehicles when not in use.
- Good driving record
- Must be in good physical health to be able to lift and carry furniture on and off the track as well as into a home owner’s home and the thrift stores.
- The driver must be able to bend, stoop, stretch, kneel, push, and pull.
- Must also be respectful of people’s homes and the things they are donating.
- Must be friendly, personable and professional with good discernment on proper customer interaction. It should be reflective of Liberty Ministries.
- Must also be in good mental health for safety on the roads.
- Must be organized to keep track of everything within the truck that is needed for pick-ups and deliveries. This includes tax receipts, stabilizing bars, gas card, blankets, stretch wrap, etc.
- Must understand and be able to operate store equipment such as a baler, hand-truck, dollies, pallet jack, containers, track lifts, tape gun, fumigation sprayer, taggers and locks on bins.
- Must have leadership abilities for the driver assistant that is on the truck with the driver.
- Must be neat in appearance and practice good hygiene.
- Must abide by all the Policies and Procedures of Liberty Thrift & Home Furnishings and be able to enforce them while on the road.
- Must be able to work independently without supervision.
- Must be able to work outside in all climates.
- Must be able to pack and stack a truck tightly, securely and safely.
- Must be conscious of safe practices on and off the truck.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Must have previous driving experience
- Previous clean 5-year Motor Vehicle Report
- Furniture moving experience recommended
- Familiar with local roadways
- Experience in handling fragile merchandise
Liberty Ministries is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled