The staff writer produces news articles and features for US Lacrosse publications, with an emphasis on US Lacrosse Magazine (print) and USLaxMagazine.com (online). This part-time position will operate largely on an assignment basis, but the candidate also will generate story ideas, contribute to social media, assist with gameday/event coverage and occasionally copyedit/post content.
Expected Hours of Work:
US Lacrosse core business hours are 8:00am to 8:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00am to 2:00pm on Saturday. This position is generally expected to work 20 hours per week within that timeframe, including some nights and weekends.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel will be expected for select events.
Lacrosse experience is not required for this position. Knowledge of the sport (participation or prior job) is preferable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Should you need an accommodation due to disability, please contact the Human Resources department.
· Write news articles and features for US Lacrosse publications, primarily US Lacrosse Magazine (print and online).
· Generate compelling story ideas for magazine and websites.
· Develop sources within US Lacrosse and the broader lacrosse community that lead to breaking news and original content.
· Cover lacrosse games and events.
· Post regularly on Twitter, Instagram, IG Stories and Facebook.
· Assist with copyediting and proofing of print and digital content.
· Help write headlines, cutlines, summaries and photo captions.
· Attend editorial meetings and pitch story ideas.
Core values & Competencies:
· We Influence – Written and Verbal Communication
· We Serve - Customer Focused
· We Create & Innovate - Creativity
· We Collaborate – Peer Relationships
· We are Humble & Honest – Integrity and Trust
· We Embrace Individuality – Diversity
· We Have Fun - Humor
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
· 1-3 years writing for a newspaper, magazine or digital publication
· Strong interviewing, writing and copyediting skills
· Knowledge of AP style
· Experience working in content management systems (CMS)
· Proficiency in Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and other social media
· Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, English or related field.
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee:
· Occasionally works in outside weather conditions, including occasional extreme temperatures.
· Lifts and move boxes, supplies and equipment up to 20-30lbs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
US Lacrosse Inc is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled