Position title: Housing Specialist
Reports to: Refugee Programs Manager
Classification: Full-Time, Non-exempt
Supervises others: No
Salary: $20.62 - $27.49 per hour
Location: Sacramento, CA
About us: Opening Doors, Inc., envisions a world in which migrants and refugees lead lives of joy and belonging, embraced by welcoming communities. Our mission is to enrich communities by supporting immigrants, refugees, and survivors of trafficking on their path towards stability, self-sufficiency and belonging.
Opening Doors is guided by our organizational values:
· Rising Together: We are in this together and depend on each other.
· Honoring Dignity: We recognize and honor everyone’s strength and inherent dignity.
· Embracing Courage: We do the right thing, even when the path is uncertain.
· Seeking Joy: We take time to be together, celebrating our diverse cultures and recognizing our victories.
Opening Doors began in 1993 as a small refugee resettlement agency, and today serves 2,000 clients per year across our 5 program areas: Refugee Programs, Human Trafficking Programs, Immigration Legal Services, Health Programs and Economic Prosperity Programs.
Ideal candidate: The ideal candidate is organized, proactive and solution-oriented, with strong project management and communication skills.
They will have the ability to work effectively in multi-cultural work environments, showing respect and sensitivity for cultural differences, and will be passionate about Opening Doors’ mission.
Responsibilities: The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Cultivate relationships with property managers in order to secure affordable housing options for newly arriving refugees.
- Research new housing opportunities to add to Refugee Resettlement housing inventory list.
- Perform home inspections prior to client arrival.
- Coordinate furniture delivery and apartment set-up for clients in partnership with Community Engagement Manager.
- Manage pre-arrival services including managing the refugee assurance process, connecting with US ties, coordinating airport arrival, and providing support to case work staff as necessary.
- Serve as a liaison and provide advocacy on behalf of clients with property managers to maintain successful housing relationships.
Other duties may be assigned in the sole discretion of the Organization. The Organization may assign or shift duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Required Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly listening, mediation, and writing skills.
- Possess strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge or understanding of tenant’s rights and responsibilities, as well as providing strength-based, client-centered, and trauma-informed case management.
- Experience with computer and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Preferred Qualifications: The requirements listed below are not required but are desired.
· One to two years of experience in a case management role and is familiar with compliant file work.
· Familiar with housing management practices
Physical requirements and work environment: The following demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Housing Specialist position. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people to perform the described essential functions.
While performing this job, the employee is required to sit often and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel and to manipulate keys on a keyboard, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, lift approximately 25 pounds on occasion, and to stoop, kneel, or squat, and drive on occasion. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Please use the following link to apply: https://openingdoorsinc.easyapply.co
Opening Doors provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees, applicants and any third parties, for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Opening Doors complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination laws.
Opening Doors participates in E-Verify.