The Restaurant Sous Chef is responsible for planning and directing food preparation in the kitchen under the direction of the Executive Chef.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensure that the kitchen and surrounding areas are sanitized and clean in accordance with company standards and health code regulations.
- Purchase food and supplies from vendors approved by the company.
- Monitor inventory.
- Train and supervise kitchen personnel.
- Stay current on restaurant industry trends.
- Identify new culinary techniques and presentations.
- Assist kitchen staff with food prep and recipe creation.
- Effectively reviewing, planning and executing daily food service with the highest level of food quality and presentation for all dining outlets, banquets, and events.
- Producing a consistent food cost as related to departmental budget.
- Assist in scheduling team members to ensure adequate and consistent levels of service.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks at once, delegate responsibilities, and manage projects.
- Ability to maintain concentration and a well-organized work environment as well as the ability to think clearly.
- Adhering to clear performance expectations with the Executive Chef and Director of Food & Beverage.
- Report to work in a neat and clean uniform. Well-groomed hair and personal hygiene are essential.
- All guests must be treated in a manner to ensure their complete satisfaction. Always strive to exceed guests’ expectations.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- Weekly attendance to Aloha Culture Meeting.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Teamwork Oriented.
- Organizational Skills.
- Stress Management/Composure.
- Time Management.
This position assists in managing the performance of the employees within the department.
This position operates in a commercial kitchen setting. The noise level in the work environment can be loud. There are many kitchen hazards such as hot surfaces and liquids, sharp knives, and slippery floors. The employee may be exposed to hazards including, but are not limited to, cuts, slipping, tripping, falls and burns. Frequent hand washing is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is required to stand for long periods as well as walk, bend, stretch, and stoop. The position requires working taste buds, ability to smell, feel with fingers and visually inspect, including close and distance vision. The position requires ability to use arms, hands and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, decorate, etc. Must be able to lift 50-75 lbs.
Physical Environmental Demands:
- Stand- Over 3/4th of the time
- Walk- Over 2/3rd of the time
- Sit- Under 1/3rd of the time
- Use hands to fingers, handle or feel- Over 2/3rd of the time
- Reach with arms and hands- Over 2/3rd of the time
- Climb or balance- Up to 1/3rd of the time
- Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl- Up to 2/3rd of the time
- Talk or hear- Over 2/3rd of the time
- Lift minimum of 5lbs.- 75 lbs.- Over 2/3rd of the time
- Adherence to all policy and procedures delineated in the ICONA Handbook
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. This role requires forty, plus hours to include, nights weekends and holidays.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- BS in Culinary Arts.
- 2-3 years in Sous Chef positions (preferably restaurant experience, including full service, casual or fine dining).
- Automated food inventory management system experience, Market Man preferred.
- Aloha POS and Hot Schedules software experience preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Compliant with state Alcoholic Beverage Control regulations.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.