Managing Producer of Public Affairs
Do you have a passion for politics, presenting diverse views, telling a well-balanced story and public affairs production?
KET seeks an experienced On-Air Host/Reporter/Producer specializing in public policy issues, government, community and political coverage. Be an integral and leading team member of an established and respected statewide public media organization, reaching 7.3 million people in eight states. In addition to broadcasting PBS and other programming, KET produces a variety of award-winning local productions and nationally utilized educational resources.
KET is looking for a team member with a proven track-record of producing, researching, writing, and delivering compelling public affairs segments and programs. Duties include producing and hosting assigned KET productions, moderating panel discussions and forums, and covering the state legislature, elections, and other public affairs events.
This position reports to the Managing Producer of Public Affairs and the primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as on-air host, reporter or producer on assigned productions focused on government, community and political issues
- Research, write and produce mission-based productions, segments, and other content for broadcast, online, and social media
- Collaborate with public affairs team on productions and projects
- Exhibit strong news judgment, journalistic and editorial integrity
- Write and proof scripts, utilize prompter and ad lib as necessary
- Perform studio and field production, voice-work and other assignments
- Conduct research, including pre-interviews and meetings with content experts
- Create detailed offline, non-linear edit lists; oversee online finish-edit sessions and all aspects of post-production including graphics, audio post, and formatting program content for broadcast, online, and social media distribution, and digital archiving
- Lead and direct production and post-production personnel during assigned projects
- Represent KET at public appearances as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field plus 5-7 years of television production, including demonstrated experience as an on-air host/reporter/producer of studio-based programs, field productions or documentary productions for local or national broadcast are required (practical, professional-level experience in television may substitute for education)
- Extensive knowledge of television production is required
- Background in journalism, political science and/or public policy is required; knowledge and interest in Kentucky politics, history and culture preferred.
- Must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team, as well as the ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Must have strong writing, oral communications, interpersonal, and computer skills, including non-linear editing
- Political reporting and coverage experience preferred
- Must maintain a professional demeanor and appearance
- Must be available on a flexible schedule and for weekend and overnight travel
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
For more information on the organization, visit our website here - KET
Kentucky Educational Television Foundation Inc is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled