Cashier– FAO Schwarz Flagship Store
Our Story so far Founded in 1862, F.A.O Schwarz is one of the oldest and most iconic toy retailers in the world. Frederick August Otto Schwarz dreamed of a marvelous, bountiful emporium full of extraordinary, one-of-a-kind toys from all over the world. His dream became a reality, and as one of America’s oldest brands, we have provided this wonder to families for more than 150 years.
Our Vision is that we passionately curate an ever-evolving World of Wonder brought to life through our extraordinary people, experiences, and products to create everlasting memories for all.
We drive quality and innovation, offering one-of-a-kind playthings and creating cherished memories for generations of children. We are more than a toy store. We are a place where toys come to life.
We have mastered the art of showmanship and grand merchandising, and we are pioneers of crafting the concept of in-store experiences which are driving the future of retail today.
Passion - Do what you love and love what you do.
Engaging - Make the first move.
Integrity - Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.
Collaborative - Support each other, win as a team.
Adaptability - Roll with the Punches!
Driven - Be BOLD and go BEYOND.
Accountability - Own it!
The Cashier will report to the Sales Manager and works closely with the Sales/Customer Experience Lead to drive, execute and deliver FAO Schwarz, exclusive experiences. As the final stop of customers’ journey, you are expected to provide the best customer service while maintaining efficiency and accuracy.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Operate stationary and mobile Point of Sale systems (iOS devices), scanners, scales, and credit card/debit card terminals.
- Handle all transactions in a quick, efficient manner
- Process merchandise returns and exchanges.
- Be able to answer customer questions and provide accurate information on all procedures and policies.
- Receive payments by cash, credit/debit card, and Gift Card.
- Issue receipts, refunds, store credits, or change due to customers.
- Wrap and bag all purchases with care for all customers.
- Maintain accurate cash drawer.
- Keep the checkout area clean and tidy.
- Recommend our “hands-free” shopping option to customers, which could include a local courier service or other shipping options that deliver their products directly to their home or hotel.
- Be knowledgeable of our store layout, Rockefeller Center layout, and be able to direct customers or make suggestions.
- Stock shelves and support our Toy Ambassadors on the sales floor as needed to provide the best experience for our customers.
- Maintain an upbeat, positive, and theatrical interaction with every customer.
- Mathematical skills and the ability to handle transactions quickly and accurately.
- Previous experience in a retail store or as a cashier
- Positive, helpful attitude towards employees and customers, including the ability to speak clearly and convey information accurately.
- Cashier and Customer service experience in a retail environment
- Ability to move and/or lift push and pull over 25 pounds.
- A sense of whimsy, a nostalgia for toys, and a fondness for the FAO Schwarz brand
- Excellent collaboration, communication, time management, adaptability, drive for results, influence for impact, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to lead and remain positive, resilient, adaptable, and succeed in a fast paced, public facing retail environment.
- Must be able to work, days, nights, and weekends.
- A BIG Smile!
The job description and other aspects of the job listed on this job posting should not be construed to contain every function/responsibility that may be required to be performed by an associate in this job. Associates are required to perform other related functions as assigned.
Why You Should Work for Us
- We encourage a sense of whimsy, wonderment, play, and an engaging and theatrical environment.
- You are never treated like a number or task; you will look forward to coming to work every day to see your friends.
- Growth opportunities are everywhere.
- Highly competitive benefits
- Personal Shopping is a plus ++++
- Entertainment experience with children is a plus ++++
- Teaching experience with young children is a plus ++++
- Working a summer camps
- Working as an assistant teacher in nursery school and K-6 grades
- Like to have FUN! FUN!
FAO Schwarz is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. FAO Schwarz strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, interns, or any other covered persons, on the basis of age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin including ancestry, ethnicity, sex including pregnancy, gender identity, and transgender status, gender, physical or mental disability, including gender dysphoria and similar gender-related conditions, alienage or citizenship status, military status, including past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, actual or perceived sexual orientation, unemployment status, caregiver status, credit history, salary history, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state and local laws, with respect to hiring, promotion, discipline, firing, compensation, benefits, or other terms, conditions or privileges of employment.
If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, or during the course of your employment, please contact Site Human Resource Manager or Flagship Store Director at email@example.com.