JOB TITLE: Equipment Operator – Transfer Station 8/2021
DEPARTMENT: Department of Public Works
LOCATION: Transfer Station
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt, Full -Time, Benefit Eligible
POSITION GRADE: Grade 5
RATE RANGE: Pay range is $22.06 - $25.71 per hour, in five steps
CONTRACT: AFSCME Council 93, Local #1700
Work Schedule: Wed.-Sun., 40 hours per week, plus participates in town-wide snow and ice removal operations, required
NUMBER OF OPENINGS: 1
1. Nature of Work: Performs skilled work within the Department of Public Works as determined and assigned by a Manager or Superintendent in the Public Works Department.
2. Supervision Received: Receives instructions and work specifications from Foreman, Operations Manager or DPW Director and communicates to fellow workers Works under the supervision of an employee of a higher grade who assigns work, reviews performance for skill and efficiency, and assists in cases of difficulty.
3. Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises temporary or seasonal employees as assigned.
4. Confidentiality: Employee has regular access to confidential information of the department. Confidentiality must be maintained with regard to this information in accordance with Department Policy and the Public Records Act.
5. Accountability: Consequences or errors, missed deadlines or poor judgment may include adverse public relations, monetary loss, legal repercussions, labor/material costs, personal injury, jeopardize programs, and danger to public health/safety.
6. Judgment: Guidelines may be given verbally, or through administrative or organizational policies, or directives. Employee is expected to weigh efficiency and relative priorities in performing tasks.
7. Complexity: The work consists of the practical application of a variety of concepts, practices and specialized techniques relating to custodial and maintenance work.
8. Nature and Purpose of Public Contact: Employee interacts frequently with Town employees and the public. Customer service skills are required involving courtesy, tact, and diplomacy.
9. Essential Functions: The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position.
1.Uses extensive knowledge and skill for repair, maintenance and modification various work assignments.
2.Suggests modifications to equipment for safer and more efficient operation, constructs and installs as directed.
3.Maintains records and reports, in the absence of the Foreman.
4.Performs similar tasks as assigned, including functions of those in a lower classification.
5.Operation of mechanical equipment requiring specialized skills and licenses such as a backhoe, loader, large trucks, tractors, etc.
6.Works under limited supervision; performs specialized tasks.
7.Hauls trash to off-site location using Class A license.
8.Participates in town-wide snow and ice removal operations.
9.Responsible for processing of financial transactions via credit card and check from the public
10.Trains new employees in performing assigned duties
10. Recommended Minimum Qualification
Education and Experience: High School diploma or G.E.D. with three (3) years of experience in operation of mechanical equipment assigned to the division such as a road grader, backhoe, and trucks to perform maintenance, repair and tasks assigned, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential function of the position.
Special Requirements: Valid Massachusetts Drivers License, Hydraulics 2B, and Class B (CDL).
11. Knowledge, Abilities and Skill:
1.Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods under varying climatic conditions.
2.Ability to understand and apply verbal and written instructions.
3.Knowledge of the operation of necessary equipment and tools used in the performance of assigned work.
4.Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with fellow employees, supervisors, and the general public.
12. Work Environment: The nature of duties may involve continuous presence of unpleasant or irritating elements, such as noise, odors, chemicals, fumes, dust, smoke, heat, cold, oil, dirt, or grease. Work is performed indoors and outdoors regardless of weather conditions.
13. Occupational Risks: Duties regularly present potential risks of injuries from improper exposure that could result in loss of time from work. Examples of injuries include burns from chemical, muscular strains, falls from heights in excess of three (3) feet, and potential exposure to communicable diseases. Special safety precautions, training, or protective clothing such as gowns, coats, gloves, glasses, hats, or boots may be required.
14. Physical and Mental Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Physical Demands: Work requires regular physical strength and effort daily, such as, frequently lifting heavy objects up to 50 lbs, carrying objects, occasionally 100 lbs., and stacking them. In addition, pulling, pushing, standing, or walking for the full workday may be involved.
15. Motor Skills: Duties involve close hand and eye coordination and physical dexterity. Manipulation and motor control may require extreme accuracy.
16. Visual Demands: Visual demands include reading documents for general understanding, routinely reviewing non-written materials such as instrumentation for analytical purposes and the need for color vision.
External and Internal Applications being accepted.
Posting begins Aug. 24, 2021, and will remain open on a rolling basis until filled.
Town of Duxbury is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled