Technician will perform technical hazardous and non-hazardous containerized waste pick-ups as well as assist Senior Technical Services Staff with the segregation and packing of chemicals by hazard class during lab pack projects. Other responsibilities will include; packing compatible materials in appropriate containers, preparing waste containers for transportation, and accurately completing all shipping documents and other required paperwork per job requirements. Technician will also be performing activities such as, but not limited to; analytical sampling, waste inventories, professionally interacting with customers and vendors.
· Determines and loads all materials required for job completion and travels to various industrial, laboratory, and academic sites to perform lab pack services.
· Demonstrate a working knowledge of both 40 & 49 Code of Regulation documents.
· Assists in characterizing materials at field project sites. Classify/Segregate Lab Pack materials found on-site in accordance to 40&49CFR.
· Safely load, unload and operate trucks while following proper placarding and load segregation requirements for commercial vehicles transporting hazardous materials.
· Ensure proper chemical segregation, packaging and labeling of all waste to be shipped.
· Demonstrate an introductory knowledge of high hazard materials management/assessment and cylinder handling.
· Properly maintain and don the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment as required by each unique work environment encountered.
· Sample both known and unknown materials in the proper manner according to possible contaminants and all applicable regulatory disposal/recycling requirements.
· Maintain accurate, legible records including, but not limited to driving records, billable time and materials, work related expenses, job safety documentation, waste profiles/approvals and incident reports of various natures.
· Maintain a professional and courteous image during all interactions with customers while simultaneously developing a quality client relationship which should include a positive attitude and an emphasis on open lines of communication.
· Work in accordance with Technical Services Supervisor and Specialist to manage other highly technical projects as required
· Assist in the development of Job Health and Safety Plans when required.
· Possess and be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of all safety equipment to be used and its proper implementation
· Practice proactive safety techniques by anticipating and eliminating all unsafe situations, and reporting any safety concern or hazard beyond his/her immediate control.
· Classify/Paperpack generator waste inventories in accordance to 40&49 CFR regulations.
· Perform various other tasks as needed in the best interest of the company.
Working Conditions: Various Industrial and Non-Industrial locations including a substantial amount of local and out of town travel on roads and highways during all types of weather conditions. Frequent customer job site visitation in great variety of industry types and levels of sanitation and cleanliness. May be exposed to audible and physical hazards associated with industrial equipment when doing his/her daily tasks. Exposure to a wide spectrum of characteristically and acutely hazardous material will be experienced on a regular basis. Use of personal protective equipment is often required and proper use and maintenance of the required PPE is mandatory for all employees. Drug free workplace requires lifestyle commitment.
Required Skills and Abilities
· Must possess above average cognitive abilities in order to fully comprehend and correctly apply all written and verbal instruction.
· Must be fully capable of accurately assessing and reacting to a constantly changing, often hazardous work environment while at the same time ensuring a safe and productive work atmosphere for all employees until his/her supervision.
· Maintain excellent medical and physical fitness in order to adequately perform all task required.
· Demonstrate the ability to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines, and a variety of other high stress situations - mental and/or physical.
· Demonstrate an above average knowledge of the chemical properties of a variety of hazardous materials and the ability to handle them properly in accordance to those hazards.
· Demonstrate the ability to be independently productive in your work with minimal supervision, while at the same time coping with distributed work environments, often occupied by individuals who may be supervised by external parties.
Physical Demands: The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Walking, sitting, kneeling, bending, and lifting. Use of hands, arms and legs. Normal use of eyesight, speech and hearing. Lifting and moving of over 100 pounds on a routine basis is required. Must be able to pass a 10 panel drug screen and DOT Physical.
Education and Qualifications
Education: Bachelors degree (science major preferred) from an accredited university or on special occasions, 4 or more years of related experience will be considered.
Licenses & Certifications: Current driver’s license with clean driving record and insurable in accordance with Company’s current auto insurance carrier. Must obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License with a HazMat Endorsement within 60-days of employment. Must be able to complete DOT and RCRA training annually. Must complete and maintain OSHA HAZWOPER 40-hour training; may be required to complete and maintain Confined Space Entry & Rescue certification.
Experience: 1+ year(s) Prior lab packing or environmental waste experience preferred.
GEC1 - Gruene Environmental Companies LLC is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled