After School Counselor Job Description
Job Title: After School Counselor
Reports to: AS Coordinator and YD Director
Revision Date: 06/22/2021
YMCA: YMCA of Greater Spartanburg
Under the supervision of the Youth Development Director and after-school coordinator, an After School Counselor provides direction for the program and classroom, and implements program curriculum. Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring, while putting the quality and safety of our program at the utmost of importance.
- Implements curriculum within the established guidelines provided by the coordinator and Youth Director
- Designs and implements daily lesson/activity plans.
- Supervises the children, classroom, and all activities.
- Engage fully with all children at all times.
- Assist all children with homework and other academic needs. (Must be complete and correct)
- Make ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
- Maintain positive relationships and effective communication
- Maintain program site and equipment.
- Wear provided staff shirt and other uniform portions while working.
- Maintain required program records. i.e sign in/sign out rosters
- Attend and participate in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Meets educational and experience qualifications established by state law
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of
- Previous experience working with children in a developmental setting preferred.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate
- Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships
with people from different backgrounds.
Ability to plan, lead and participate in activities.
Run, jump, lift, carry, push, as well as any other physical actions that are needed.
By signing this document, I adhere to all of these expectations and will uphold them to the best of my abilities. With a pay rate of: _____________
YMCA of Greater Spartanburg is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled