Do you have strong retail skills and a heart for those experiencing homelessness?
Join our Thrift Store team for the summer!
Reporting to the Supervisor, the Thrift Store Associate is responsible for providing quality customer service to shoppers, providing direction and feedback to staff and volunteers. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the shelves and displays are properly stocked and merchandised well and that the store is clean and welcoming.
Position Type: Part time, fixed contract
Schedule: to be determined
Reporting to: Thrift Store Manager
Location: Thrift Store
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure effective operation of The Mustard Seed Thrift Store i.e. opening and closing procedures including cash out
- Participate in all staff training (e.g. First Aid, Safe TALK, NCIV) and attend monthly general meetings and support meetings with supervisor
- Motivate, instruct, and provide feedback to staff or volunteers
- Exemplify strong customer skills and run sales transactions
- Make merchandising, pricing decision in coordination with Team Lead
- Engage in loss prevention procedures
- Follow policies and procedures and create a safe place for customers and volunteers
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Minimum 1-year experience in a customer service retail store
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Excellent customer service, conflict resolution and organizational skills
- Team player, who works collaboratively and has a ‘teachable spirit’
- Empathetic towards, and ability to communicate with, individuals facing mental health, addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty and related challenges
- Experience working within the culture of the inner city and/or with people experiencing poverty or homelessness is an asset
- Experience working in a volunteer-based organization is considered an asset
- Part-time, hourly position 30-35 hours a week
- Availability to work mornings, afternoon and evenings and Saturdays are required, occasional/seasonal hours
- Physical effort: moderate, periods of sitting, standing, walking, indoors and outdoors
- Lift up to 50 pounds to sort, pack, unload and move items
- This position is often fast paced and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Your privacy is important to us. The information we collect is used solely for consideration for employment.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.
- Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.