Whittier Trust is the oldest and largest privately owned multi-family office headquartered on the West Coast. Providing exceptional client service and highly customized investment solutions for high net worth individuals and their families to help them reach their long-term goals is our only mission.
Our staff of 170 dedicated professionals work with 365 clients and their families to deliver a broad array of services including investment management and consulting, fiduciary, philanthropic and family office. Our founding family’s century-long history of energy and real estate investing continue to guide our activities for clients today. Entrusted with $12 billion of private family assets, our teams employ a consulting approach to tailor solutions for complex family situations.
Whittier Trust attracts professionals who want to spend the vast majority of their day in service to our clients. Our organization is flat, nimble and uniquely attuned to the needs and desires of both today’s entrepreneurs as well as legacy family members who may be several generations removed from the wealth creators. Our corporate culture is one of client-focus, collaboration, performance and accountability, family orientation and long term career satisfaction. Employee turnover is very low – evidencing a high level of engagement and career fulfillment.
The position offers a competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, generous sales incentive and stock ownership plans, excellent medical and retirement coverage.
The primary responsibility of the Portfolio Manager (PM) is to manage client portfolios consisting of equities, fixed income, cash and alternative assets within established investment guidelines. In addition to the management of individual portfolios, the PM is expected to participate in and contribute to the investment department through macroeconomic, industry and company research. The PM is expected to communicate regularly with and make presentations to clients, prospects and referral sources. The PM is also expected to participate in and contribute to the firm’s growth through business development efforts.
• Manage portfolios to achieve client objectives
• Responsible for making and implementing investment decisions and maintaining allocations within client guidelines and Departmental policies
• Analyze economic, asset class, sector or company fundamentals as a member of smaller working teams or Satellites
• Assist in internally managed strategies and asset allocation
• Participate in weekly and monthly investment meetings and communicate regularly with others in the Investment Department
• Meet with clients on a regular basis
• Communicate with and make presentations to clients, prospects and referral sources
• Participate in New Business Development initiatives to achieve established goals
• Work with Client Administrators on shared accounts
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
• Portfolio management experience managing diversified portfolios of equities, bonds and cash
• Investment experience with alternative assets a plus
• Strong communication, client relationship and business development skills as well as an entrepreneurial spirit
• CFA and/or MBA preferred
• 10+ years of Portfolio Management and staff experience overseeing diversified portfolios of equities, bonds, cash and alternative assets
• Superior ability to identify and build relationships with qualified prospects.
• Strong investment research experience
• Strong people skills
• Good presentation skills
• Keen client service focus
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• High integrity with a diligent work ethic
• Team/people oriented
• Highly organized with good time management skills
• Meticulous attention to detail