JOB TITLE: Equipment Operator - Highway 5/2021
LOCATION: Highway Department - Public Works
POSITION GRADE/LEVEL: Grade 5, in five steps; $21.52-$25.08 per hour, Non-exempt
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-Time Benefit Eligible, 40 hours per week typically Mon-Fri, mandatory participation in town-wide emergencies and snow and ice removal operations.
REPORTS TO: Department Manager
NUMBER OF OPENINGS: 1
1. Nature of Work: Assists supervisor in any and all phases of the work, performs skilled work as determined and assigned by supervisor. Makes frequent contact with co-workers and residents requiring calm, clear and courteous communication.
2. Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the Highway supervisors. Operates equipment based on supervisor’s general instructions who reviews performance for skill and efficiency and assist in cases of difficulty.
3. Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises temporary or seasonal employees as assigned.
4. Confidentiality: Employee has regular access to confidential information of the department. Confidentiality must be maintained with regard to this information and in accordance with Department Policy and the Public Records Act.
5. Accountability: Consequences or errors, missed deadlines or poor judgment may include adverse public relations, monetary loss, legal repercussions, labor/material costs, personal injury, jeopardize programs, and danger to public health/safety.
6. Judgment: Guidelines may be given verbally, or through administrative or organizational policies or directives. Employee is expected to weigh efficiency and relative priorities in performing tasks to handle emergency situations and ensure public and environmental safety.
7. Complexity: The work consists of the practical application of a variety of concepts and practices.
8. Nature and Purpose of Public Contact: Employee interacts frequently with Town employees and the public. Excellent customer service skills are required involving courtesy, tact, and diplomacy.
9. Essential Functions: The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position:
1.) Suggests modifications to equipment for more efficient operation.
2.) Operates various Town/department equipment.
3.) Provides labor for roadway projects, maintenance and other Highway operations.
4.) Performs routine tasks in connection with care, upkeep, repair, marking and beautification of highway and roads, cleaning culverts, catch basins, drains and ditches; loading and unloading trucks and cars; spreading sand, gravel and asphalt.
5.) May be required on occasion to operate landscaping equipment and power tools, cutting grass, weeds and brush; cleaning culverts, catch basins, drains and ditches; loading and unloading trucks and cars; spreading sand, gravel and asphalt.
6.) Assist in taking physical inventory of stock materials.
7.) Assists in training new employees.
8.) Accepts deliveries of supplies and equipment.
9.) Performs similar tasks as assigned, including functions of those in a lower classification.
10.) Cross trains with other Department employees.
11.) Is available for overtime and call backs in the event of emergencies.
12.) Participates in town-wide snow and ice removal operations
10. Recommended Minimum Qualification
Education and Experience: Must have a high school diploma or equivalent, two years of full time comparable work experience and prior and demonstrable ability to deal effectively with fellow employees, supervisors and the general public or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Special Requirements: Must possess valid Massachusetts Driver’s License and CDL Class B license 2B & 4E Hoisting License.
11. Knowledge, Abilities and Skill:
1. Knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations pertaining to highway operations.
2. Considerable and demonstrable skill, in the use of tools and the operation of equipment required in the performance of highway work.
3. Ability to deal appropriately and harmoniously with public officials, the general public, supervisors and co-workers.
12. Work Environment: The nature of duties may involve continuous presence of unpleasant or irritating elements, such as noise, odors, chemical fumes, dust, smoke, heat, cold, oil, dirt, or grease. Work is performed indoors and outdoors during inclement weather.
13. Occupational Risks: Duties regularly present potential risks of injuries from improper exposure that could result in loss of time from work. Examples of injuries include burns from chemical, muscular strains, falls from heights, and illness from exposure to communicable diseases. Special safety precautions, training, or protective clothing such as coats, gloves, glasses, hats or boots will be required/provided.
14. Physical and Mental Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Physical Demands: Work requires regular physical strength and effort daily, such as, lifting heavy objects up to 50 lbs (or more in cases of emergency and/or with assistance), carrying objects and stacking them. In addition, pulling, pushing, standing, or walking for the full workday may be involved.
15. Motor Skills: Duties involve close hand and eye coordination and physical dexterity. Manipulation and motor control may require extreme accuracy.
16. Visual Demands: Visual demands include reading documents for general understanding, routinely reviewing non-written materials such as instrumentation for analytical purposes and the need for color vision.
Posting will begin accepting applications on May 27, 2021, posting will remain open until filled