Title: Swim Instructor
Reports to: Aquatics Manager
Position Status: Part time
Salary: $14.49 - $16.56
Start Date: Immediately
Location: John W. Lindsay YMCA, Halifax
Dept: 108 Aquatics
The YMCA is a place where everyone belongs, we are committed to providing equal opportunities for all, in a welcoming space that is both nurturing and fun – a community of shared responsibilities, where children and families can thrive.
There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities to do work that really matters, and the Y is one of those rare places. When you join our team, you don’t just get a job – you’ll embark on an exciting path of career development. You will be part of a team that provides children, youth, and adults of all ages reach feel a sense of belonging to their community.
Our Aquatics team plays an important role in ensuring our aquatics department is a safe and inclusive space, that offers excellence in its facilitation and delivery of Aquatics lessons for all participants. Reporting to the Aquatics Manager, our aquatics staff are integral to ensure our core values and mandate are delivered in a meaningful, safe, positive and inclusive way for each participant.
- Supervise participants at all times and ensure a safe environment in regard to conduct, safety education/intervention, regulatory and policy compliance, and equipment usage
- Recognize and prevent potentially dangerous situations, using approved techniques for supervision of aquatic areas and users, in emergency situations; providing water rescue, first aid, and follow up. Complete any safety documentation and reporting as required
- Conduct routine inspections of facility’s public areas to ensure hazards are corrected and mitigated, maintenance issues are addressed, and participant safety is maintained
- Develop and deliver Aquatics programming, in keeping with YMCA Core Value System, Swim Instructor Guidelines, Serving All Members (SAM) standards, and ensuring a high level of participant satisfaction
- Build, foster, and maintain positive working relationships with participants, community members, staff and volunteers through positive internal/external communications, timely response to questions and issue resolution
- 1-3 years’ experience in delivery of aquatic youth and adult programming and/or lifeguarding
- NLS, Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification; previous YMCA swim instruction experience an asset
- YMCA Swim Instructor, or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor, or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor
- Demonstrated safety conscious mindset and Standard First Aid/CPR certification required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bilingual in French, Arabic, etc. an asset
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work irregular hours as required
- Participation in Comprehensive Group Benefits and Pension Program
- Strong Work Life Balance Programs (i.e. Paid Personal and Vacation Days)
- Individual & Family YMCA Membership options
- Access to discounted childcare/program
Note: Successful candidates are required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and valid First Aid and CPR training. Employees are required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training.
Please apply online at http://www.ymcahfx.ca/job-postings/ December 30, 2022
We look forward to hearing from you!
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify.