A neighborhood where every person’s worth is celebrated and all people thrive.
We seek a just society, nurturing spirits through ministry, housing, advocacy and community services.
Each job within the First United Church
should in some way promote our accomplishment of this vision and mission.
The casual cook position assists the Food
Services Manager in providing consistent and quality food preparation following
First United food service and hospitality standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
refrigerators and storerooms are kept organized and maintained in the various
kitchen areas on a daily basis and that all food products are stored in
accordance with health regulations.
· Attend work as scheduled, give sufficient notice for absences to Food Services Manager.
· Ensures smooth operation of kitchen services during absence of Food Services Manager.
· Completes cleaning according to daily and weekly schedules and dishwashing/pot washing as needed.
· Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of equipment, food storage, and work areas.
· Conduct yourself in a professional and positive manner.
· Ensure food is stored in appropriate containers, labeled, and rotated to ensure high standards of freshness, minimizing waste and maximizing quality.
· Actively participate in the environmental program and department specific initiatives in working towards sustainable operations.
· Strive to uphold a safe working environment and be Health and Safety conscious and actively involved in maintaining and improving a safe work environment.
· Maintain professional work habits.
· Adhere to all First United Guidelines, Policies, Rules and Regulations.
· Practice proper grooming, personal hygiene, and uniform standards.
· Ensure that the kitchen prep area is maintained at the highest level of cleanliness at all times, especially during food production. This includes: any food spills are cleaned immediately; all equipment is cleaned on a daily basis and there is no build up of grease or other stains on all equipment.
· Help to ensure that food deliveries have been delivered and stored according to the standards set by the Food Services Manager.
· Follow any and all recipes as they apply to any food products that you prepare or assist with, as determined by the Food Services Manager.
· Ensure the proper use of scales and measurements in all recipes, portioning, and food production.
· Maintain integrity of kitchen and supplies by managing access to kitchen by volunteers and non-kitchen staff.
· Maintain up to date Food Safe Certification.
· Liaise with outside groups/volunteers and donors as required
· Manage access to dry storage area.
· Ensure that volunteers’ possessions are stored away from the kitchen area.
· Carry out other related duties which may be assigned from time to time.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
The incumbent works with the Food Services Team. If clarification is required, it is expected that the incumbent will request further direction from the Food Services Manager.
· Cooks are to seek input or to exchange information about regular duties with the Food Services Manager
· Experience in a non-profit related environment, e.g. shelter, group home, recovery house
Minimum two (2) years of
hospital, institutional, or restaurant cooking experience to include food preparation
High school diploma or GED
· Current food safe level 1 certificate
· Comfortable using a computer, navigating Windows, Microsoft Office, and Outlook Email
· Valid driver’s license and clean drivers abstract is required
We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position