Assistant Teacher (Head Start)
Founded in 1965 as part of the War on Poverty, Worcester Community Action Council (WCAC) is one of 1,000 community action agencies across the U.S. and 23 in Massachusetts created to address disparities throughout the nation.
Our values of advancing equitable access, elevating all voices, and partnering with people are embedded in the role we play as the federally designated anti-poverty agency for Central and South-Central Massachusetts. WCAC embodies service to the community through our Mission: Helping people move to economic self-sufficiency through programs, partnerships, and advocacy.
Our vision is to break the cycle of poverty one neighbor at a time. Through safety-net services and asset building solutions, WCAC creates economic mobility opportunities for tens of thousands of people annually through programs such as energy assistance, early education and care, financial empowerment, positive youth development, and career pathways.
WCAC is committed to being a responsible and inclusive partner through strong collaboration and a shared client perspective. We are committed to advocating for policies that create equitable access to education, health, social, and economic systems. We are committed to a workplace culture with a shared passion for our mission that promotes teamwork, respect, and the opportunity to make a difference.
Through our Healthy Families, Early Head Start and Head Start Programs, Worcester Community Action Council (WCAC) provides a continuum of early education and care programming for families throughout Southern Worcester County prenatally through Kindergarten enrollment. We strive to support positive parent/child interactions through developmentally appropriate curriculum and activities for the whole family to participate in. We currently operate two Head Start Centers, one in Southbridge operating 8 classrooms and the other in Webster with 4 classrooms. Both centers are licensed through EEC, accredited through NAEYC, and QRIS rated level 3. Head Start prepares pre-school aged children for school by offering center-based safe and fun education programs which incorporates learning and social/emotional skill development. Children learn the “Kindergarten readiness” skills they need to do well in school. Families receive the support they need to meet and advocate for the needs of their children.
Our Head Start program is seeking Assistant Teachers to help plan, organize and carry out the classroom program and activities that contribute to children’s overall growth, self-esteem, social competence, development and safety of all children. We are hiring full time and part time positions in our Southbridge and Webster centers.
WCAC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision, life, 403(b) retirement plan with Agency contribution, flexible spending account, paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time. Offering a sign-on bonus for qualified applicants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with weekly lesson plans, child observations, outcomes, assessments, individualization forms, logging parent and child contacts in data bases as well as other forms of paperwork.
- Use space, material, and routine as resources for constructing an interesting and safe environment that encourages exploration and learning indoors and outdoors.
- Maintain an open, friendly and informative relationship with each child’s family, encouraging their involvement.
- Participate in two home visits a year, two parent/teacher conference and other parents meeting/activities as needed.
- Participate in training events and staff meetings (day & evening), taking advantage of opportunities for professional and personal development.
- Treat children for minor first aid and illness, which includes checking children’s heads on a weekly basis for head lice. Provides any continued health care procedures for children with ongoing medical issues.
- Collaborate and meet with the Family Advocates on a weekly basis and as needed.
- Practices Head Start standards of family style meals including eating with children.
- Maintain cleanliness of classroom to include organization throughout the program year as well as at the year-end closing.
- Department of Early Education and Care License, Teacher required.
- Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field required.
- Teacher’s educational philosophy should be compatible with that of Head Start.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Outlook. Ability to learn agency databases.
- Ability to speak Spanish as a second language, preferred, other languages a plus.
- Must work cooperatively and effectively with a diverse population.
- Current physical within one year prior to hire and Mantoux test required per DEEC. MMR vaccinations up to date or positive titers. Then mandatory physical every two years after. Hepatitis B (optional).
- Ability to successfully complete a CORI/SORI/DCF review annually.
- First Aid and CPR certificates for infants and children.
- Evening hours may be required to meet the needs of families and programs.
- Job site assignment may change based upon program needs.
- Physical ability to perform the job with reasonable accommodation including; ability to lift a child up to 50 pounds and bend to speak with child at the child’s level, ability to physically set up and break down classrooms, including moving furniture and light housekeeping, and the ability to see and hear with reasonable accommodation.
- Covid Vaccination
Apply via this posting or send cover letter and resume specifying position via email to email@example.com or to the Human Resource Department, Worcester Community Action Council, 484 Main St, #200, Worcester, MA 01608.
Worcester Community Action Council, Inc. is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, membership in the uniformed services or any other classification which is protected under state or federal law.