Responsible for managing
the underwriting process and evaluating residential mortgage loan applications
originated by the bank’s Mortgage Loan Officers. Responsible for recommending loan
approval of applications. Serves as an “expert
resource” on underwriting matters. May
have responsibilities for assigning loans to other underwriters and preparing
Essential Duties and
Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned.)
· Analyzes personal/business tax returns and financial
statements in mortgage loan applications for underwriting.
· Evaluates loan risk and makes underwriting decisions
on mortgage and residential construction to perm loan applications following
bank policies and procedures, security guidelines, and complying with all
federal, state and local regulations.
· Applies underwriting guidelines with the Bank’s
investors, agency guidelines, and mortgage insurance partners.
· Conducts credit review to ensure that granted loan
approval is within Investor guidelines.
· Makes underwriting decision on each mortgage loan and
· Assists Credit Admin with new builder approvals for
· Works closely with Processing and Closing team to meet
service levels promises.
· Minimizes the number mortgage loans that cannot be
sold into the secondary market and loans that require repurchase by paying
close attention to all details of the underwriting process, regardless of which
investor is anticipated to purchase the respective loan.
· Once “lending authority” is granted, approves mortgage
loans within authority limits.
· Manages underwriting staff by forecasting workload
based on trending of loans in the pipeline.
· Coordinates workflow for staff, set workflow deadlines
and ensure proper procedures are followed.
· Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting, or at
least 7-10 years of recent mortgage underwriting experience, or an equivalent combination
of education and experience.
· FHA DE and VA SAR designation required.
· Knowledge of HMDA reporting requirements related to
· Knowledge and experience with all regulations and policies
to ensure compliance.
· Experience with USDA, Bond, DPA, multi-state, complex
· Effective oral and written communication skills.
· Superior analytical thinking and mathematical skills.
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions
furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Proficiency in using personal computers and office
products (e.g., Word, Excel).
· Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work independently.
· Ability to underwrite and properly package a loan.
· Self-starter who is goal- and results-oriented.
· Ability to multi-task using effective time management
· Ability to work in a team environment.
· Mortgage LOS experience, including with Calyx Point a
· Familiarity with State Housing loans, preferred .