Position Status: One Full Time and One Part Time (approximately 20 hrs/week), Contract to March 31st, 2022
Salary: $23.23/per hour
Start Date: June 1st, 2021
The YMCA Experience
Since 1853 our YMCA has been a leading community development organization in Nova Scotia with a mandate to build healthy communities through staff and volunteer partnerships and values based programming. In the areas of health & fitness, childcare, camping, employment, immigration and family supports – our YMCA continues to be a leader in promoting well-being.
The YMCA has been providing settlement services for over 25 years both in HRM and in smaller centres through our YMCA settlement and language programs across the province and through our mission to “Build healthy communities through the power of belonging”.
We are looking for an experienced Language Instructors to join the Immigrant Services team in starting-up, and rolling out a new pilot project related to health care sector specific language learning. Working closely with the project team, and in collaboration with sector specific subject matter experts, the Language instructors will be responsible for delivering language instruction and supporting participants’ learning goals that align with project objectives.
- Experience working in EAL instruction that integrates different technologies, media and platforms
- TESL qualified and experience working with Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB)
- In-depth knowledge and experience in the application of adult learning principles
- Able to work effectively in both independently and in group settings for the purposes of adhering to project deadlines while ensuring standards of excellence
- Able to collaborate with subject matter experts
- Excellent computer skills including experience with computer-based learning software and current E-Learning tools
- An understanding of, and experience with, cross-cultural issues and how they relate to learning and integration for newcomers to Canada
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple, competing deadlines and tasks
- Demonstrated discretion and sound judgement in the handling of confidential information
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including effective verbal/written communication skills
Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and proof of valid First Aid and CPR training. Employees will be required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training.
In joining the YMCA, you will become part of a dedicated network of individuals with great passion for providing holistic support to the communities in which we serve. As a YMCA staff member you will receive:
· Individual & Family YMCA Membership options;
· Access to discounted childcare/programs
Applications will be accepted on or before May 14th, 2021 at 4:30pm. We look forward to hearing your story!
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.