Cold Prep Cook
Pancakes, Macaroni Salad, and Ice Cream Sundaes! What do all three of these have in common? All are things you will learn to prepare and serve as a Cold Prep Cook at Migis Lodge. Prepare cold foods, salads, appetizers and desserts to be served complying with all sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards, following established food production programs and procedures. Work closely with Executive Chef/Sous Chef to help guarantee our guests a dining experience which exceeds their expectations. Housing is available for qualified candidates. Local applicants are encouraged to apply.
Location: Migis Lodge on Sebago Lake, Casco, ME
Hours: 24-40 hours per week, typically 6:30am to 2:30pm or 3pm to 11pm
Compensation: $15 to $18 per hour + additional incentive payment of 7% total wages.
Seasonal Position: 2023 May through October (flexible)
Start date: Early May 2023
Benefits: Discounted stays and food & beverage at affiliated properties
Experience: Previous culinary/kitchen experience preferred, but not required.
This is a great first job for someone who may be interested in exploring a future in the culinary arts. Work with a crew of 10 under the supervision of our experienced Garde Manger, to prepare cold dishes, plate, and server pancakes and an assortment of cold dishes. You must be a detailed person who can carefully follow directions, complete tasks independently, and be able to successfully multi-task.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure that all mise en place is prepared for respective stations as well as proper forecasting of prep needs for assigned station.
- Prepare food products and execute cold foods, salads, appetizers and desserts meeting the standards of the Executive Chef, Pastry Chef, Hotel Management and our guests, ensuring that food production is coordinated with meal hours so that quality, temperature, and appearance of food are preserved.
- Ability to safely operate kitchen equipment including, but not limited to, ovens, stoves, dishwashers, slicers, steamers, mixers and chef’s knives.
- Handle and communicate special orders and guest complaints in a professional manner. Have a knowledge of common food allergies and cross contamination issues to endure diner safety.
- Maintain food safety, work station and personal cleanliness and sanitations standards as required by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services and OSHA, as well as general maintenance and upkeep of kitchen equipment.
- Know who to notify in case of broken equipment or unsafe/unsanitary conditions.
- Must be able to manually handle/lift product up to 60 pounds between knee and chest
- Must have bilateral fine manipulation of both hands which may be repetitive for entire shift
- Must be vertically mobile working in limited space for entire shift
- Protect the assets of this property and the Migis Hotel Group.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States of America.
- Previous experience as a cold prep cook in a similar property, culinary school or completion of apprenticeship program preferred, or proven experience in higher volume and/or fine dining kitchens.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and written, with guests and employees, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to understand verbal directions, as well as written menus, recipes, labels on foods and chemicals, and other workplace safety signage.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.