Under the supervision of the Childcare Director, an After School Counselor provides direction for the program and classroom, and implements program curriculum. Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring, while putting the quality and safety of our program at the utmost of importance.
Implements curriculum within the established guidelines provided by the coordinator and Childcare Director
Designs and implements daily lesson/activity plans.
Supervises the children, classroom, and all activities.
Engage fully with all children at all times.
Assist all children with homework and other academic needs. (Must be complete and correct)
Make ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
Maintain positive relationships and effective communication with parents.
Maintain program site and equipment.
Wear provided staff shirt and other uniform portions while working.
Maintain required program records. i.e sign in/sign out rosters
Attend and participate in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Meets educational and experience qualifications established by state law
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Previous experience working with children in a developmental setting preferred.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient strength, agility, and mobility to perform essential functions of the position and to safely supervise childrenâ€™s activities.
YMCA of Greater Spartanburg is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled