US Lacrosse, the national governing body of lacrosse, announces an opening for an experienced Manager, Athlete Development, working as part of the Lacrosse Operations Team. The successful candidate is self-motivated, open-minded, creative, resourceful, collaborative, and handles conflict well. We are looking for an individual that embodies “The USL Way” by positively influencing the sport and each other, providing outstanding service, being creative and innovative, practicing purposeful collaboration, being humble and honest and having fun! If you believe you can bring your own unique spirit, then US Lacrosse is the place to be.
ABOUT US LACROSSE:
US Lacrosse, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, is the national governing body of men’s and women’s lacrosse and the home of the nation’s fastest-growing team sport. US Lacrosse coordinates all activities of the U.S. National Teams Program and has nearly 450,000 members across the country. Through responsive and effective leadership, US Lacrosse provides programs and services to inspire participation while protecting the integrity of the sport.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All applicants must submit a brief cover letter, resume and minimum salary requirements to be considered for the position directly via gethired.com to ensure completion of application even if applying through another site. Relocation expenses are generally not included for USL job openings.
The Manager, Athlete Development will serve as the key advocate and spokesperson for lacrosse’s part in the national movement of the Lacrosse Athlete Development Model (LADM) which is US Lacrosse’s sport-specific version of the American Development Model as put forth by the US Olympic Committee. This individual is responsible for championing, guiding, and evaluating the organizational strategies that will lead to long-term behavior change in the lacrosse community toward better player development and retention through the LADM and its six core values. Also responsible for the ongoing evolution of the Lacrosse Athlete Development Model as the foundation for all practical applications, methodologies, and programming designed to support the creation of the best athlete experience for all involved in lacrosse.
Expected Hours of Work:
US Lacrosse core business hours are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on Saturday. This position is generally expected to work 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday - Friday and occasionally requires longer hours or weekend work as related to events and other business needs.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
A demonstrated understanding and knowledge of lacrosse is required for this position. Knowledge of lacrosse coaching, child development, sport skill acquisition, long term athlete development, and the youth sport landscape is highly preferable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Should you need an accommodation due to disability, please contact the Human Resources department.
- Identifies and implements strategies and programmatic solutions to drive adoption of the lacrosse athlete development model; leads activation and delivery of the strategies and manages solutions
- Collaborates cross-departmentally to align current US Lacrosse programs and related activities with the athlete development model
- Identifies opportunities to apply the model in order to increase inclusion and foster diversity in the lacrosse community in partnership with other staff
- Convenes subject matter experts and advisors to evolve and evaluate the model and its recommendations to reflect the most current science and best practices in the sport; researches and applies most current science and scholarly findings to the LADM and LADM content
- Establishes goals, benchmarks, measures, and metrics to measure progress toward adoption and impact of athlete development methodologies. Reports on progress toward goals for athlete development based on the US Lacrosse strategic plan
- Ensures appropriate data is captured within the US Lacrosse database as related to athlete development initiatives
- With Director, develops and oversees the annual budget for LADM initiatives
- Works with the coach development team to align the Coach Development Program curriculum, trainers, certification programs and overall content with the LADM
- Works with Senior Manager, Sport Opportunity to align granting and sport growth initiatives with quality player experiences as prescribed by the LADM
- Initiates and collaborates with other staff members to create videos, online courses, live training, and educational resources to educate the lacrosse community about the LADM and its six core values
- Creates and runs player events and co-facilitates coach training events with the coach development staff to facilitate data collection efforts, community outreach and modeling of best practices
- Works with sponsorship and fundraising groups to identify funding opportunities for athlete development initiatives
- Identifies research needed to support or validate the model; works with the Center for Sport Safety to complete research studies and apply the findings and results
- Initiates and creates, in collaboration with other staff and subject matter experts, athlete development training and resources for program leaders, parents, and other stakeholders in addition to internal staff education; delivers training when appropriate
- Manages athlete development support staff
- Participates in annual youth rules reviews and updates as subject matter expert on the LADM
- Presents athlete development information to programs, clubs, leagues and at conferences
- Represents US Lacrosse at multi-sport and long-term athlete development meetings and working groups
- Identifies and cultivates LADM ambassadors, champions and spokespeople
- In coordination with overall department communication plans, makes recommendations for promoting the six core values of the model and promoting the pathway outlined in the model and all tools and resources made available by US Lacrosse. Works with the USL mar/comm department to execute plans. Manages social media posts related to athlete development
- Oversees newsletters and strategic content marketing messages and educational pieces delivered to the lacrosse community (both members and non-members)
- Writes and updates web content
- Answers inquiries and questions from customers regarding the athlete development model and practical applications
- Other duties as assigned
Core Values & Competencies:
- We Influence – Written and Verbal Communication
- We Serve - Customer Focused
- We Create & Innovate - Creativity
- We Collaborate – Peer Relationships
- We are Humble & Honest – Integrity and Trust
- We Embrace Individuality – Diversity
- We Have Fun – Humor
This position manages other employee(s) and is responsible for the hiring, performance management (including goal setting, code of conduct and documentation), training, expense and adherence to all organizational policies of the employee(s) under his/her supervision.
Required education and experience:
- 3-5 years’ work experience in management level role or higher. Work experience in education, program development, non-profit management, or another related field preferred
- Ability to lead volunteers and peer groups
- Ability to set goals and develop short and long-term plans
- Ability to creatively solve problems independently and effectively while considering other viewpoints
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing with diplomacy with a customer service focus
- Ability to initiate and work independently in a fast-paced environment and give strong attention to detail
- Must embrace US Lacrosse values, maintain a positive attitude and have a passion for the mission and vision of the organization
- Knowledge of basic computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe and Outlook; database experience, Salesforce knowledge a plus
Preferred education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of child development and long-term athlete development highly desirable
- Understanding of the challenges in today’s youth sports marketplace
- Comfortable learning new technologies; comfortable speaking in public
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions, including occasional extreme temperatures
- Occasionally lift and move boxes, supplies, and equipment up to 20-30 lbs
- Occasionally extended time spent in a teaching environment standing or moving indoors and outdoors
- Will experience prolonged sitting, speaking on the phone and keying of data using a PC, keyboard, and mouse
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
US Lacrosse Inc is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled