Driver CDL A
The driver’s purpose is to transport supplies to customer locations, pick up various waste materials from customer locations, and deliver materials to disposal sites. The driver will be responsible for driving to and from designated locations, verifying loads are correctly identified on shipping papers, maintaining records of duty status according to state and federal regulations, and performing pre-trip and post trip inspections.
· Operate roll-off and tanker trucks or trailers.
· Ensure the timely response and pickup of wastes and/or provision of services.
· Ensure quick response to unscheduled activities to meet customer needs and expectations.
· Interact with numerous TSD facilities to ensure that all waste materials are processed in a timely and cost-effective manner.
· Identify shipping containers required for different materials and know how to inspect those containers.
· Demonstrate basic knowledge of segregation, placarding, marking, and labeling requirements as required for hazardous materials shipments per company and USDOT standards.
· Review all manifests, Bills of Lading, and other shipping documents for conformance with company policy and USDOT requirements.
· Accurately complete all Records of Duty Status, trip reports, work orders, and other paperwork per company and FMCSA rules.
· Maintain company vehicles by completing all required inspections and correcting minor deficiencies as needed.
· Practice safety awareness by thinking defensively, anticipating unsafe situations, and reporting unsafe conditions immediately.
· Understand what safety equipment is required for specific jobs and know how to properly don PPE.
· Practice good housekeeping in all areas of business, such as trucks, dock, warehouse, and offices.
· Represent the company in a professional and courteous manner to customers, suppliers, regulators and the general public. Enhance the image and reputation of the company by exercising sound and ethical business practices in all areas. Ensure that customer complaints on performance are quickly addressed and resolved.
· Actively identify prospective clients and inform the sales staff - including possible new lines of business at current clients.
· Give recommendations to improve transportation methods for increased efficiency. Help to develop and implement effective and efficient programs with the concurrence of management.
· Participate in trainings, industry events, and other company events as needed.
· Assist Transportation Supervisor in other duties as requested.
Office and warehousing environment with local and out of town travel on roads and highways during all weather conditions. Frequent customer job site visitations in great variety of industry types and levels of sanitation and cleanliness. Exposure to hazardous chemicals and waste. Drug free workplace requires lifestyle commitment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Must know guidelines for truck regulations and inspections related to the operation of semi-tractor trailers with four axles or more
· Must have knowledge of safe work methods and practices
· Must have basic knowledge of Hazmat Regulations
· Communicate clearly – both verbal and written.
· Must understand logistics for moving multiple units and to track, record, and archive movements.
· Use basic math skills to determine rates and distances.
· Ability to follow and give directions
· Able to communicate and interact with customers, suppliers, supervisors, other drivers, and the general public
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Walking, sitting, and driving for extended periods. Use of hands, arms, and legs. Normal use of eyesight, speech, and hearing. Lifting of 40 pounds and moving of over 100 pounds using necessary equipment on a routine basis is required.
Education and Qualifications
Education: HS Diploma or equivalent
Experience: One to five (1-5) years driving a CMV; experience in the hazardous materials field recommended
Other: Must have a valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License including a hazardous materials and tanker endorsement with acceptable driving record. Must complete and maintain OSHA HAZWOPER training; may be required to complete and maintain Confined Space Entry & Rescue certification. Must be able to pass a DOT physical and drug screen.
GEC1 - Gruene Environmental Companies LLC is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled