Do you have a passion for serving vulnerable citizens experiencing homelessness? Join our Basic Services team in Red Deer! This relief position covers two roles – street level worker and shelter worker on either day or night shifts. In both roles, the frontline worker is the primary point of contact for clients, volunteers, donors and all other visitors as they enter the premises. Crises intervention and de-escalation resolution will be daily occurrences in both roles, and the incumbent will need to be flexible to be called in on an as-needed basis.
Position Type: Casual
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Location: Red Deer, AB
Number of Positions to Fill: 2
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partake in the very important work of building trusted relationships with the most vulnerable citizens in Red Deer who access the programs and services at The Mustard Seed
- Supervise building access, security of the property both internal and external, the receiving and receipt of donations
- Ensure and maintain an enhanced visible presence across the property, perceiving and responding to opportunities that will optimize safety, and build community through positive interactions
- Build trusted relationships with guests accessing the ministry centre
- Support shelter and neighborhood guests through intake, basic case management, referrals, supporting and helping to build a safe and respectful environment
- Facilitate the incorporation of volunteers and volunteer opportunities to further support TMS Programming
- Track and report on KPI’s donation and distribution metrics.
- Document street level activities and formulate the reports directed towards stakeholders internally and externally
- Participate in training and onboarding of volunteers and practicum students and interns
- Greet and ensure volunteers and donors are treated with excellence and appreciation
- Support overall property cleanliness and safety
- Assess guest sobriety and behavior, greeting the guests at front line and be the first point of contact to resolve confrontational situations with the guest population
- Attend meetings and trainings as assigned
- Keep all client information confidential
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Post-secondary Degree or Diploma preferred
- Front line experience in ministry or Social Services considered an asset
- Customer service experience considered an asset
- Strong desire to work with marginalized population
- Good relationship building and communication skills
- Some knowledge of mental illness and addictions
- Working knowledge of MS Office computer applications
- Experience working with volunteer
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Desire to serve in a Christian ministry
- Hours are on a casual, as needed basis
- This position will require working inside and outside in various climates, and will involve moderate levels of physical effort, including but not limited to standing for long periods, walking, climbing stairs, bending, lifting, and pushing donation carts
- This position requires focused mental effort, including but not limited to, adapting to an often fast-paced environment, operating a computer, using a two-way radio communication, perceiving, and quickly responding to crises within and around the premises
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Your privacy is important to us. The information we collect is used solely for consideration for employment.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.
- Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.