Head Chef, Camp
LandSea provides accommodation and catering solutions for workforces in remote locations throughout BC. We believe in and strive towards, "creating good places for people to live. Anywhere." Learn more about us on our website at https://landseacamps.com/
About Working in Remote Camps
Our camps are located in remote areas and staff live on-site (meals and accommodation included) on scheduled shifts and leave camp on scheduled breaks. A typical shift schedule is any of the following: 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off, 3 weeks on and 1 week off or 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.
Most of our LandSea camps offer individual staff accommodation, ensuite or shared bathroom, full meals, WIFI and some have health/gym facilities for staff. We provide partial uniforms and help with the travel/reservations as needed to and from camp locations.
Camp staff work long hours and multiple days in a row. A typical workday is between 10-12 hours (day or night shift) and overtime rates apply. Health and Wellness benefits are offered after three months.
Health and Safety and a Respectful Workplace are essential for everyone working together at LandSea. Our camps are drug and alcohol-free workplaces, and some require pre-employment drug and alcohol testing. All new staff are required to complete pre-employment onboarding orientations.
Our team members include Clerks, Cleaners, General Helpers, Housekeepers, Janitors, Maintenance, Security, Chefs, Cooks, Bakers, Lodge Managers, Health and Safety Officers and more.
Sound like a good fit for you?
About the Job
The Head Chef position is responsible for planning and directing food preparation and cooking activities. Also, estimate food requirements, and labour costs, demonstrate new equipment, prepare and cook meals and specialty foods including dishes for customers with food allergies or intolerances. Instructing 1st Cooks, 2nd Cooks and kitchen helpers in preparation, garnishing and presentation of food and teaching new cooking techniques. Ensure quality of food and portion control, create new recipes, requisition food and kitchen supplies and equipment, scheduled daily duties, and supervise cooks and kitchen staff.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Administration, inventory
- Adhere to specific tasks; campfire drills, HACCP
- Uphold all policies and practices of LandSea Camp Services
- Always wear proper uniforms
- Assist with preparation and disassembly for moving and relocation
- Along with the Camp Manager, facilitate safety meetings on the 1st and 15th of each month, ensuring that all staff report accidents, safety concerns, and work hazards
- Maintain constant communication with Head Office staff regarding concerns with personnel, food, equipment, and shutdowns etc.
- Counsel/coach employees as required and involve Head Office, when necessary, to provide direction on disciplinary matters
- Provides first-class customer service, kitchen, and facility cleanliness
- Prepare and cook complete buffet-style meals or individual dishes and foods consistent with LandSea Camp Services menu plan
- Baking a wide variety of foods, snacks, and desserts
- Prepare and cook special meals for clients as instructed by Landsea
- Coordinate and manage buffet service or plate service
- Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Follow Food Safe requirements
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment
- Plan menus, determine the size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies
- Training new kitchen and dining room staff
- Prepare weekly food orders and input or process as directed by LandSea Head Office
- Clean up workspace surfaces, appliances, buffet lines, pots, pans, dishes and all food-related equipment and supplies
- Maintain and upkeep the kitchen and dining room equipment
- Offer quality food and presentation
- Red Seal Ticket (preferred)
- Minimum 3-5 yearsâ€™ experience being a Head Cook
- Food Safe certification
- Great communication. Speak, read and write English
- Completion of High School
- Team player and are able to provide support, motivation and encouragement to others
- Excellent attention to detail and well-developed organizational skills
- Strong work ethic with an ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Maintain a professional appearance at all times
- Work safely and responsibly
Physical Requirements (must be physically fit to perform the following)
- Stand, walk, stoop, kneel, or crouch for long periods of time
- Repeat the same movements including fast, reparative movements of fingers, hands, and wrists
- Use muscles to lift, push, pull or carry objects up to 50 lbs
- Reach with hands and arms
- Use hands to handle objects and tools
- Must be able to work 12-hour shifts
- Completed drug and alcohol clearance
- Completed site specific and LandSea orientation and training
- Completed Health Questionnaire
- Must have valid Government issued identification
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Starting at $23.00 an hour.
- Commuter benefits
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Wellness program
- 10-hour shift
- 12-hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
- Overtime pay
- Cooking: 3-5 years (required)
- Red Seal (preferred)
- Food Safe Certification
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.