Worcester Community Action Council’s Head Start program serves children, ages 3-5, and their families in two centers – one located at 25 Cole Avenue, Southbridge; the other center located at 116 School Street, Webster. These center-based programs provide developmentally appropriate curricula, health and nutrition services, breakfast, lunch and snack, special education opportunities, and family services.
WCAC is seeking a qualified professional to collaborate with parents of Head Start children and the education staff to promote the well-being of the child, self-sufficiency, and engagement opportunities. This is a school year, full time position, Monday to Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related field preferred.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with a diverse population.
- Knowledge of community resources in Southern Worcester County.
- Strong computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Ability to learn database, Childplus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills both written and verbal. Bilingual preferred.
Special Certification or Documentation:
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Ability to successfully complete a CORI/SORI/DCF every two years.
- Evening hours may be required to meet the needs of the families in the program.
- Mandatory physical every two years and Mantoux test per DEEC requirements.
- CPR and First Aid certificate required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with recruitment of children and intake process.
- Coordinate and prepare enrollment packages with site supervisors for new and returning children. Attend and coordinate orientation sessions. Collaborate with the Health and Education staff to ensure all enrollment documentation is updated before children start and throughout the school year.
- Prior to enrollment, identify high risk families based on point system for high risk families. Meet with high risk families at least once a month for support and follow up on referrals.
- Ensure that all children are safely accounted for and not left unattended at any time while in the daily care of the WCAC Head Start program. Assist staff in the classroom as needed.
- Observe in the classroom a minimum of 2 hours per month.
- Conduct a minimum of two (2) home visits per year, or as needed to work on the Family Partnership Agreement follow up, referrals and outcomes.
- Ensure weekly meetings are completed in a timely manner and provide written documentation of the weekly meetings.
- Advocate for families to receive services. Provide parents with a community resources book. Arrange transportation for families when necessary to visit community service providers, medical, and dental offices. Act as a liaison between community resources and Head Start families. Encourage and support families advocating for themselves in the community.
- Ensure that all related family information is entered, scanned and updated in the Childplus database. Including but not limited to communication with parents, PIR information, family reviews, custody documentation, and any other documentation related to social service.
- Complete all required documentation pertaining to the program. Update activity logs in Childplus on a monthly basis and make hard copies for children’s main file. Assure documents in children’s files match Childplus data.
- Responsible for maintenance of social service records and center reports. Provide a monthly report to the Family Engagement Coordinator.
- Assist Family Engagement Coordinator with Policy Council meetings.
- Set up and maintain a Parent Information Center. Schedule and attend workshops, speakers, and activities for the Parent Center Committee. Coordinate and support Parent Center Committee meetings.
- Attend and assist all parent-related activities. Monitor parent activity fund.
Apply via this posting or send cover letter and resume specifying position via email to email@example.com or to the Human Resource Department, Worcester Community Action Council, 484 Main St, #200, Worcester, MA 01608. Deadline to apply is January 8, 2021.
Worcester Community Action Council, Inc. is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, membership in the uniformed services or any other classification which is protected under state or federal law.