First United is seeking to hire a Temporary CONTROLLER (14 months with a possibility of extension) to work within its Finance and Administration Department. First United is a not-for-profit on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. We support many social service activities such as an Emergency Shelter, Community Programs, Spiritual Care, and Food Services that benefit the community we serve. We are in a process of the re-development of our Hastings and Gore property and are presently working in satellite offices. This is a great opportunity to not only use your CPA designation but also share in an exciting future of First United while doing heartfelt and purposeful work. This position offers very generous health and welfare benefits plus retirement savings plan, upon the completion of a 3 month probation period.
(Temporary 14 month Position with a possibility of extension)
The Controller is accountable for accounting operations at First United Church Community Ministry Society: including production of regular financial reporting, reconciliations, maintenance of adequate systems of accounting records, and ensuring accuracy of First United’s financial records, including compliance with Canadian generally accepted accounting principles.
This position also provides support to the Director of Finance in various areas of financial analysis and reporting, including preparation of annual budgets and reports for funding partners.
Each job within the First United Church Community Ministry Society should promote our accomplishment of our vision, mission, and values.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintains and enforces a documented system of accounting policies & procedures
• Oversees the operations of the accounting department, including control systems, transaction-processing operations, policies and procedures.
• Ensure accounts payable are paid in a timely manner and that all reasonable discounts are taken; process cheque runs & prepare/process electronic payments and transfers
• Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
• Assist the Payroll & Benefits Coordinator with payroll reporting problems or in correcting errors
• Review bi-weekly payroll before finalization
• Process bi-weekly payroll when Payroll & Benefits Coordinator is absent
• Ensure that bank reconciliations are completed
• Ensure reconciliations with Raiser’s Edge (fundraising) software are completed
• Ensure required debt payments are made on a timely basis
• Maintain the chart of accounts
• Maintain orderly accounting filing systems
• In partnership with the Director of Finance, maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
• Make weekly bank deposits and enter bank deposit information from the Raiser’s Edge (fundraising) software as receipts in the QuickBooks accounting system.
• Enter adjusting journal entries as needed
Finance Reporting & Compliance
• Issue timely and complete monthly financial statements
• Preparation of financial reporting to institutional funders & for annual reports, as necessary
• Coordinate annual budgeting processes, in partnership with Executive Director and Director of Finance
• Provide financial analyses as needed, under the direction of the Director of Finance
• Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors
• Prepare quarterly and annual filing for WorkSafeBC premiums
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in a finance/accounting department of a mid-sized organization ($3-8M operating budget).
• Expertise with payroll software and general understanding of requirements of processing payroll in a Canadian context
• Expertise with Payworks would be an asset
• Expertise with Raiser’s Edge a plus
• Good command of English language both written and verbal.
• Ability to effectively interact with a variety of staff and members of the public in a diplomatic, professional and result-oriented manner.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize one’s workload.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience
• CPA designation (completed or nearing completion), or equivalent business experience
• Expertise processing accounting transactions with QuickBooks accounting software.
• Accounts payable, accounts receivable and bank reconciliation experience (5-7 years).
• General accounting and financial reporting experience (3-5 years).
• Fund accounting for not-for-profit experience (2+ years)
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Responsible for accounting for the revenues and expenses, including internal reporting. Oversees cash receipts and cash disbursements. Monitors the bank balances and cash flow requirements of the organization.
The incumbent works fairly independently. If clarification is required, it is expected that the incumbent will request further direction from the Director of Finance, the Managing Director, or the Executive Director.
Regular communication is maintained with all levels of management and staff as accounting information is gathered, transactions are processed and reports are produced.
• Director of Finance, Managing Director, and Executive Director: seek input or to exchange information about accounts payable, accounts receivable, budget or other accounting related matters
• First United Church staff: to exchange information, advise or receive instruction on specific accounting tasks
• First United Church Social Housing Society: to exchange information, advise or receive information on intercompany transactions with Housing Accountant or Director of Housing
• Vendors, donors, payroll software, WorkSafeBC, BC Housing, CRA, and other external parties: regular communication to provide and obtain information, answer general inquiries, phone calls, emails, etc.
JOB CLASSIFICATION & WAGES:
◘ Exempt □ Management
□ Bargaining Unit
Job Classification: The United Church of Canada Wage Grid Category 8
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position