Summer Day Camp Director-MIddle Tyger YMCA
Job Title: Summer Day Camp Coordinator or Sports/Specialty Camp Coordinator
Status: Part-Time Seasonal Department: Childcare
Reports to: Senior Program Director Revision Date: 1/26/2021
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Develops, organizes, and implements high-quality YMCA child care program(s). Under the supervision of the Senior Program Director and in conjunction with the School-Age Programs Coordinator the Camp Coordinator is responsible for the following:
- Manages directs and coordinates the school-age summer camp programs for assigned location(s). Ensures high-quality programs and establishes new program activities. Expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Plans, implements and observes the day to day operations of all aspects of the summer day camp program. The coordinator will be responsible for planning daily activities, supervise and schedule staff, communicating with parents, and any other duties assigned by the Senior Program Director.
- Assists in recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, and direction of personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Develops, manages, and controls budgets related to the position, under the supervision of the Association Childcare Director. Ensures program operates within budget and that program fees are collected.
- Assures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations as they relate to program areas, including ADA accommodations where appropriate. Ensures that YMCA program standards are met and safety procedures followed.
- Provides for the upkeep of assigned program facilities and equipment and ensures the physical environment supports healthy living.
- Develops and maintains relationships with state child care licensing agencies, school administration, parent groups, and other organizations and agencies related to assigned programs. Responds to all agency, parent, and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Provides staff leadership for an annual fundraising campaign.
- Maintains proper records/department files.
- Organizes special events for parents and campers. Assists in YMCA fundraising activities.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in the program.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Association Childcare Director
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Must have completed a minimum of 2 years of college and working toward a degree.
- One to two years related experience preferred, as a coordinator or supervisor of child care programs.
- Minimum age requirements may apply; for example, minimum age of 20.
- Typical requirements within 30 days of hire include completion of Child Abuse Prevention for Supervisory Staff; Working with Program Volunteers; CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of
- Understands the YMCA is a public accommodation committed to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient strength, agility, and mobility to perform essential functions of the position and to safely supervise children’s activities.
- The Day Camp Coordinator will receive 5 unpaid vacation days that can be used between June 7th-August 13th, 2021 but not the first week of summer camp.
- Must be able to attend Coordinator Training on May 6th-May 9th 2021.
- Must be able to attend and to conduct summer camp training May 20th-23rd 2021.
- The camp Coordinator is eligible to work up to 39.99 hours/week, cannot exceed 40 hours/week without permission from the supervisor.
- Beginning Pay Rate $10.50-12/hour
YMCA of Greater Spartanburg is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled