Are you passionate about utilizing your clinical skills to end homelessness and reduce poverty? This opportunity is for you! The Mustard Seed is looking for an Addictions Mental Health Outreach Worker to be part of a multidisciplinary outreach team that aims to meet the social determinants of health for community members experiencing multiple barriers, which can result in chronic homelessness and/or increased utilization of emergency health services.
The Addictions Mental Health Outreach Worker will utilize clinical skills to develop a mobile outreach program that provides outreach addictions services to vulnerable clients experiencing homelessness or on the verge of homelessness who are not able to access conventional services. The Addictions Mental Health Outreach Worker will utilize pro-life approaches to meet the needs of individual clients by providing individual case consultation. There is a strong Mental Health component to this position as well. The Addictions Mental Health Outreach Worker will provide assessment, counselling, and referrals. They will work in collaboration with outside community agencies and respond to emergency situations as needed. This position is also required to facilitate presentations to organizations outside The Mustard Seed, assisting their staff to recognize and assist their clients in dealing with their substance use disorders.
Position Type: Full time
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Reporting to: Clinical Team Lead
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To provide training opportunities for staff, that will assist them in helping to move clients forward in dealing with their substance dependency
- Provides assessment of clients’ mental health and substance dependency needs, followed by referrals to receive diagnosis and treatment
- Provides direct client care in relation to substance dependency issues
- Helps facilitate the clients’ optimized utilization of all available community supports
- Provides ongoing assessment and counseling support of clients as needed
- Work collaboratively within the multidisciplinary team to provide comprehensive case management to clients as needed
- Document client interactions, client referrals and client progress on the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), and the clinic’s electronic medical record (EMR)
- Facilitates emergency interventions, as needed
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships within The Mustard Seed and with external agencies
- Builds a comprehensive library & knowledgebase on community resources related to substance dependency
- Tracks statistics and prepares reports, as required
- Assists the Clinical Team lead and the Health and Wellness Centre Supervisor with new initiatives or projects as required
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A passion to be part of ending homelessness in Alberta
- Bachelors Degree in Clinical Social Work (RSW, MSW)
- Minimum two years’ experience working in Mental Health is an asset
- Experience working with vulnerable populations and people experiencing homelessness is a definite asset
- Proven record of mental health assessment, counseling, and ability to implement a plan of care
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with clients; members of the multidisciplinary team, and community agencies
- Demonstrated knowledge of Calgary’s community (mental) health and addiction resources, and adept in navigating those systems
- Knowledge of FOIP and ability to observe confidentiality standards
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team & accomplish goals
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs); experience with Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) an asset
- Good organizational, time management skills and advocacy skills
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Valid Driver’s License (Class 5) and access to a reliable vehicle
- This position is a mixture between office working conditions and street outreach
- Lifting, travelling, sitting, standing, walking, driving personal vehicle are required as part of this role
- Moderate physical effort required to successfully accomplish the essential job functions, such as entering data into databases, and responding to a fast-paced work environment
- Moderate mental effort required to successfully accomplish the essential job functions such as counseling, referrals, training, and responding to sensitive and/or highly intense situations
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- This position requires the use of a personal vehicle for company use. The candidate must have a valid driver’s licence and maintain $2M Vehicle Liability insurance on the vehicle being used.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days.
- Your privacy is important to us. The information we collect is used solely for consideration for employment.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.
- Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.