This position is responsible for assisting the District Manager with the operations and compliance of the Commissary. The position ensures commissary operations, processing and preparing food for the restaurants and bakeries. This position leads and trains the Commissary staff members and ensures a clean and safe working environment. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining a high quality of food production, while overseeing costs, pricing and profitability. The incumbent works closely with the company owners and other management with regards to overall food management and costs/profitability for operations.
Responsibilities, Duties & Accountabilities:
The core, critical and essential work duties, functions and responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- Assisting the District Manager with the Commissary operations, leading others and ensuring the highest standards of quality for the restaurants and bakeries.
- Trains and helps to develop staff on cooking, baking and preparation or re-portioning of food (bulk or otherwise), for example, baked goods, desserts etc.…
- Ensures the appropriate and adequate inventory and re-order of necessary food stock supplies/orders
- Ensures clean and safety sanitation practices for food handling by leading other employees, ex: clearly marking food items and expiration dates, following protocols to prevent food cross-contamination related to food allergies, bacteria, etc.; ensures the routine inspections of supplies for expiration dates, rotation of stock from the prior shift, and ensuring only fresh and safe food in refrigerators, freezers, pantries, etc.…; ensures thermostat setting of ovens and adjusting as necessary
- Maintains all USDA, Federal, State, and Local compliance regulations
- Maintains Maintenance/equipment reports and repairs
- Responsible for employees’ current knowledge of safe and healthy practices for food handling and preparation; and maintains the current required food handling permit, obtaining ServSafe Certifications
- Oversees the unloading of incoming truck loads, inventory and stocking of incoming supplies
- Supervises and trains employees and is responsible for employee performance and development, mentoring and assisting the District Manager in addressing employee relations issues
- Trains and works closely with the staff to ensure only the highest quality food is prepped, cooked and delivered to the restaurants and bakeries
- Continuous and updated training for the all staff members on processes, expectations, serving the public, following policies, etc.
- Ensures continuous training and staff knowledge of safe and healthy practices for food handling and preparation and the current required food handling permits, ServSafe Certification
- To fill-in employees’ position’s requirements to ensure coverage during absences
- To courteously address with tact and professionalism any complaints, concerns and issues; and trains Direct Reports to handle in the same appropriate manner
- Ensures employees have the appropriate food handling and health/safety training and permits and continuously trains on proper, hygienic and safe food handling practices
- Ensures an exceptionally clean environment by cross-training all Direct Reports in regards to general cleaning services, as all staff is responsible to ensure clean Kitchen and Prep Areas of the Commissary
- Responsibility for purchasing, strict inventory control and protocols, providing leadership with routine results reporting and upon request
- Ensures proper payment policies, processes and controls are trained and followed
- Complies with and sets example for, teaches and trains employees, ensuring all company policies, standards and protocols, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), Departmental Checklists and other required rules and practices.
- Follows, trains and sets example for safety and security practices and protocols; and ensures these processes are timely, sufficiently and consistently followed; successfully completes and complies with all daily and other routine Departmental Checklists (Ex: Opening Checklist, Closing Checklist, Cleaning Checklist, etc.) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), adhering to these with the utmost attention to details related to cleanliness and safety
- Complies with and ensures training (in-person, video, classes, etc.) and successful participation by employees in all required trainings; and in following all Departmental Checklists and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
- Supports and assists Human Resources in the recruitment of new employees in accordance with established policies and procedures; responsible for training new employees
- Responsible for employee development and performance, recommending employee wage increases as appropriate to the District Manager, Company Owners and Human Resources
- Supports and assists the District Manager, Company Owners and Human Resources in diligently and confidentially addressing employee issues, bringing employee issues and concerns to the immediate attention of the District Manager, Human Resources and the Company Owners
- Works with the District Manager and Human Resources on all employee separations to ensure timely compliance
- Ensures employees’ professional working relationships with co-workers, vendors and the general public
- Takes a proactive, positive and sincere interest in our customers, ensuring continuity of the company’s long-standing relationship with the community
- Other projects and duties as assigned
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED, preferably supplemented by college courses in Management, Accounting or Business-Related field of study
- Minimum three to five (3-5) years’ experience working in a Food Commissary or Food and Beverage in a management capacity; internal company experience will be considered;
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in the management of employees, with strong leadership skills and the ability to manage and train others in restaurant operations
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
- Demonstrated above-average knowledge of Food and Beverage and related operations
- Demonstrated above average problem-solving skills and quality control measures
- Demonstrated work experience with stocking/inventory needs, costs vs. sales/profits, and security controls of the products
- Demonstrated computer skills, preferably working with Microsoft Office products, POS Systems and programs and the ability to successfully navigate and maintain current knowledge and skills working with technology.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with other employees, exercising tact and professionalism in all matters
- Demonstrated professional demeanor and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to apply strategic business logic while making sound decisions under pressure
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion in dealing with sensitive information, exercising considerable discretion and good judgment, demonstrated conscientious and dependable
- The following physical demands are requirements and must be met in order for the successful performance of the job position: This position requires the incumbent to speak, hear, see, stand for long periods of time, walk frequently and use full reach and range of motion in arms, hands and fingers, with continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills, to bend, stoop, kneel, carry, push, pull and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to adhere to regular and routine attendance and to work evenings and/or week-ends and holidays
- Ability to maintain a satisfactory and required attendance, punctuality and ability to work flexible schedules
Advance Sourcing Concepts is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled