THE RIDLEY DIFFERENCE
Founded in 1889, Ridley College is a co-educational boarding and day school with over 700 students in JK to grade 12 from more than 50 countries worldwide. The Ridley experience integrates a traditional liberal arts education with individual learning enhanced by the principles of positive psychology, the International Baccalaureate continuum program, a learner-driven culture and campus community, exceptional athletics and dynamic arts programs, and a commitment of service to others. This unique combination prepares meaningful and flourishing lives by teaching the habits of mind, body, and spirit, and the values needed to lead in a global society.
Ridley College is located on 90 acres in St. Catharines, Ontario in the heart of the Niagara Peninsula and is comprised of a stunning blend of century-old buildings housing modernized technology.
Ridley offers the prospect of being part of a high-performance team in a nourishing workplace community that encourages collaboration, innovation, inclusivity, and curious minds, and where grit and perseverance are assets. Joining the team at Ridley means you are committed to life-long learning and development, have integrity, and value being of service in a richly diverse community. We cultivate the full potential in each of our students by having a caring, committed and world-class team. Attracting, developing and retaining people who thrive in Ridley’s positive education culture that recognizes and celebrates individual strengths is critical to our success.
Ridley is seeking a temporary Turfgrass Specialist to assist the Grounds Department in the development and maintenance of Ridley’s turfgrass stands (including fields) as well as snow/ice removal services. This position may have the opportunity to transition into a full-time role.
- Maintain regular schedule for turfgrass maintenance according to seasonal requirements
- Lead/oversee the maintenance of turfgrass including mowing, power trimming, irrigating, etc.
- Assist in the installation and maintenance of irrigation systems
- Maintain a regular schedule for roadway, parking lot and walkway seasonal maintenance
- Hardscape maintenance, snow/ice removal, daily inspections, etc.
- Conduct planned maintenance of grounds equipment
- Perform minor repairs such as oil changes, blade changes, etc.
- Schedule equipment maintenance with external repair companies
- Collection of refuse and debris from campus
- Campus event set up activities
- Other duties as required
- Various weather conditions
- Lifting heavy loads
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching and kneeling
- Post-secondary certificate/diploma in Horticulture
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the turfgrass industry
- Experience working with and maintaining snow removal and associated equipment
- Valid class G driver’s license
- Must enjoy working outdoors and be comfortable working at heights
- Ability to work on-call shifts as required
- Capability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, complete repetitive tasks and pay attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Keeps safety as a number one priority in all activities
- Ability to communicate with the Ridley community and visitors in a professional manner
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Police Clearance must be obtained prior to the start date
The deadline for applications is Friday, November 8th, 2019.
As a condition of employment, a satisfactory Vulnerable Persons Screening Report must be provided. While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Ridley College is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible and equitable environment where everyone feels respected, valued and supported. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used in order to ensure your equal participation.
“We inspire flourishing lives to transform our globe.”