We believe in technology to feed a changing world. CubicFarms (TSXV: CUB) is an ag-tech company providing automated growing systems for fresh produce and nutritious livestock feed. CubicFarms offers turnkey, commercial scale, hydroponic, automated controlled environment growing systems that can grow predictably and sustainably for 12 months of the year virtually anywhere on earth. The company has sold and installed systems in Canada and internationally and continues to grow a global pipeline of prospective customers. Visit us at www.cubicfarms.com.
THE ROLE: MECHATRONICS DESIGNER
Reporting to the Senior Electrical & Automation Engineer, the Mechatronics Designer will join our R&D and Engineering teams (cross functional) to help developing new prototype technologies, instruments and analytical equipment for our Cultivator and Germination machines. The position will require considerable collaboration with internal and external resources. The successful candidate will be experienced, enthusiastic and motivated about engineering and sustainability.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors or Masters (preferred) degree in Engineering or another relevant field required.
• Minimum 2 of experience working as a Mechatronics Designer or similar role required.
Experience working in either the agriculture, indoor vertical farming, or high-technology industry is preferred.
• Current resident of and eligible to work in Canada
• Proficient CAD user with an in-depth knowledge of SolidWorks
• Working knowledge of mechanical and electrical component production processes and design rules to ensure successful fabrication.
• Ability to readily learn new packages and solve common problems with software and computer systems
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, comfortable working in a small company environment where both autonomy and working as part of a dynamic team are essential
• Self-Motivated with ability to work independently and be flexible with the work schedule
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
• You’re the type of person who can’t walk out the door with anything left undone. You like all of the boxes ticked off and make schedules and lists when no one cares but you. It’s in your DNA.
• You are a self-motivated, passionate, experienced individual who is looking for an opportunity to work with an emerging organization with a great deal of room for advancement.
• You are an entrepreneurial minded, hands on person who leads by example and thrives on solving challenging problems.
• You have a green thumb and a jack of all trades. You are just as comfortable using a spreadsheet as you are using a wrench.
• You are motivated by thought of working in the new and upcoming ag-tech industry.
• You are reliable, proactive, and willing to take the lead on tasks that need to be accomplished.
• You have the ability to structure yourself in an unstructured environment and are motivated to learn new skills.
• You are willing to work during various hours throughout the day and lend a hand where required to get the job done.
• Above all you like to have fun while doing all of the above.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
• Strong Electrical automation experience, including robotics, programming, mechanical integration.
• Hands-On experience creating automated mechanized devices with servos, motors, sensors, PCB’s, control boards, programming and actuators.
• Ability to build, take apart, troubleshoot and repair mechanical and electrical devices.
• 3D mechanical design (SolidWorks) of new product components.
• Understanding of bill of materials for electrical systems including, but not limited to, sensors, motors, and control boards.
• Create and execute data-driven experiments and validation tests to ensure viability of new mechanical components.
• Assist in field operations to validate new products, provide quality assurance and collect component quality data for internal use.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CubicFarms is an equal opportunity employer is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage applications from all qualified and enthusiastic candidates. CubicFarms is a growing organization in an emerging industry that will provide the right candidate with significant potential for advancement in the ag-tech space.