Do you like making genuine connections with people? Do you take pride in creating a comfortable, safe and clean environment for others? Come work for one of BC’s top not-for-profit societies!
The Phoenix Society is a not-for-profit society dedicated to providing accessible services and opportunities to people who face barriers related to addiction, mental health, housing, education, criminal justice involvement and/or employment. In May, we will be opening an exciting new Supportive Housing project in Surrey and are now looking to build an amazing team.
Reporting to the Housing Manager, the Janitor/Custodian is responsible for keeping the building in a clean and orderly condition. You will perform heavy to light cleaning duties such as tending to the furnace and boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, cleaning floors, washing walls and glass, removing garbage, notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk.
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming them.
- Gather and empty trash.
- Service, clean, and supply restrooms.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.
- Make adjustments and minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing, and electrical systems.
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and product label specifications.
- Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after cleaning and checking electrical appliances to ensure that hazards are not created.
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks.
- Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways, and parking areas, using snow blowers, and snow shovels, and spread snow melting chemicals.
- Requisition supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Inspect dryer vents and clean and maintain weekly.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Education/Experience: Minimum Grade 12 education and one or two years previous experience an asset.
- Fluent and able to effectively communicate professionally, orally and written in English.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check for working with vulnerable populations.
- Proven interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
Schedule: 10am-2pm Tuesday to Saturday
We look forward to your application!
Phoenix Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes all applicants to apply and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.