Vysnova Partners. Inc. is supporting the Naval Medical Research Unit Two (NAMRU-2) in Vietnam by managing a portfolio of research projects. NAMRU-2 requires operational and technical support for malaria research in Vietnam. In collaboration with host country government infectious disease research bodies and local nongovernmental organizations, we are researching methods for detecting malaria using serology and molecular and treatment methods as well as the prevalence of malaria in highly-vulnerable populations.
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Period of Performance: from date of hire through 29 May 2019
40 hours per week consultancy
Rate based on experience
Lead malaria research initiatives in Vietnam on behalf of Vysnova for NAMRU-2, analyze findings and publish related journal articles. With guidance from the US Navy’s cognizant scientists and support from Vysnova’s Principal Investigator and project management team, the Lead Malaria Researcher will carry out a broad and complex range of investigative and analytical activities related to the surveillance, detection, and prevention of malaria.
- Overseeing research according to approved work plans and protocols
- Performing quality assurance and quality control for research studies
- Ensuring staff and subcontractors carrying out research comply with applicable laws, regulations and institutional policies (e.g., protection of human research subjects)
- Write and publish articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Managing local research and operations staff
- Providing guidance to subcontractors implementing research
- Providing technical advice to the Navy scientists
- Helping source providers of lab and research services (e.g., molecular work, protein expression, genomic sequencing)
- Supporting procurement and travel as needed
Oversee implementation of the malaria re-stratification activity in collaboration with the Project Manager and Finance Manager. Participate in annual work planning sessions with the client and local Vietnamese partners and help develop timelines for specific research benchmarks, milestones, and deliverables. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop high quality concept notes, research protocols, presentations, posters, reports, and manuscript drafts and revise as needed
- Receive and integrate feedback from the US Navy’s cognizant scientists, colleagues, and editors
- Develop implementation plans for research protocols and manuscript writing that outline what needs to be done and when to meet deadlines identified in the work plan.
- Help anticipate budget needs for study development, implementation, and dissemination.
- Provide guidance and support to project team members and subcontractors with technical and operational roles.
- Liaise regularly with research partners and Vysnova project management staff to provide progress updates and identify issues in need of attention.
- Ensure that all manuscripts planned for the project are completed and submitted on-time to the appropriate journals after following the project’s review process.
- Consult on a range of technical problems, including those with solutions that may not conform to established protocols and may require the modification of approaches.
- Advise and assist in the resolution of technical issues and help resolve or mitigate any that pose significant barriers to designing research protocols, collecting, storing, and analyzing data, and publishing related manuscripts.
- Support the dissemination of data and findings in English and Vietnamese.
- Participate in relevant internal and external committees and workgroups.
- Present on the research at meetings and conferences.
- Support monitoring and evaluation.
- · MD/Master’s degree or Ph.D./DrPH (preferred) in relevant field
- · Experience researching malaria
- · Field experience in Vietnam
- · Experience working in collaboration with institutional partners to execute a similar study on a tight timeline
- · Attentive to detail
- · Energetic and collegial
- · Knowledge of vendors and prospective partners in the region
- · English fluency, knowledge of Vietnamese desired
- · Published author of peer-reviewed journal articles
- · Able to produce high-quality drafts on short timelines that require minimal editing
- · Experience designing engaging poster presentations and putting together high- medium-impact symposia and oral presentations
Vysnova Partners Inc is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled