St. James Parish Government is hiring for the position of EOC Emergency Responder in the Emergency Preparedness Department.
Job Function: The care and maintenance of fire hydrants, fire stations, and apparatus, updating building pre-plans, operating equipment, responding to emergencies, and driving apparatus etc. This position will support all aspects of the Emergency Preparedness department including routine operations and emergency response. This position is classified as essential during declared emergencies or natural disasters. This is a nonexempt position, working a typical 40-hour workweek. This position is “Safety Sensitive” and subject to random drug testing as per the St. James Parish Government Employee Handbook. St. James Parish Government is an equal opportunity employer and reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Inspect and flow test fire hydrants throughout the parish
· Clean and upkeep of all fire stations and apparatus
· Inspect, run, and maintain all fire apparatus and equipment to insure operational readiness
· Inspection of PPE and emergency response equipment
· Update building emergency pre-plans
· Respond to all fire alarms, structure fires, and medical emergencies
· Attend annual trainings and classes
· Assist with any other tasks assigned by the director of Emergency Preparedness
Education and/or Experience: High School Diploma or GED, Firefighting and emergency medical experience is a plus but not required. Employee must pass a Fit For Duty physical.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
· “Must” possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license, (class D) and have an acceptable driving record
· Must be able to obtain NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, 800
· Must be able to obtain Fire apparatus driver/operator certification
· Emergency Medical Responder preferred
· Firefighter I preferred
Other Skills and Abilities:
· Experience with most Microsoft based software applications and proficient in using the Internet
· Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and organization skills
· Ability to research, to work independently, and to work with multiple priorities at once
· Above average public relations and people skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, controls, and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions, extreme heat/cold, near moving mechanical parts, and is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
St. James Parish is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. The parish will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, agree or political affiliations.