St. James Parish Government is hiring a Building Maintenance Technician 1 under the Operations Department.
JOB FUNCTION: To make basic or minor repairs to buildings, facilities, and grounds. This job differs from laborer and custodial jobs by performance of a wide range of basic maintenance and repair responsibilities. This position is classified as essential during declared emergencies or natural disasters. This is a nonexempt position, forty hours per week. This position is “Safety Sensitive” and subject to random drug testing as per the St. James Parish Government Employee Handbook. Individuals in this class are able to complete the majority of their projects with a minimum amount of supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes any combination of the following illustrative examples of duties and responsibilities including but not limited to:
· Makes basic or minor repairs to the interior/exterior of buildings and facilities; and maintains furniture and equipment by employing basic skills in the plumbing, carpentry, concrete finishing, painting, plastering, roofing, tile setting, flooring, electrical, mechanical, and related fields
· Performs a variety of manual tasks including but not limited to; loads and unloads materials and supplies and equipment; hauls or carries sand, lumber, and cement
· Maintains equipment by washing and cleaning
· Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or general education diploma (GED) and 1 year of experience or training in the building construction trades or general building maintenance.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: “Must” possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license (class E) and have an acceptable driving record.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of the operating procedures and maintenance of equipment operated
· General knowledge of the hazards and applicable safety rules and regulations in equipment and small tool operation
· Working knowledge of traffic laws and regulations.
· Ability to perform or assist in minor maintenance and repair of equipment operated
· Ability to perform physical labor required of the position
· Ability to identify operating problems of equipment assigned
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, controls, and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions, extreme heat/cold, near moving mechanical parts, and is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places.
The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
St. James Parish is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. The parish will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, agree or political affiliations.