Position: Rollback Wrecker Driver/Operator
Job Summary: Operates a Rollback Wrecker capable of hauling or towing a variety of autos, machines, equipment and Cargo (e.g. Cars, Trucks, Forklifts, Manlifts, Generators, Metal Containers, etc.) Operates a Rollback Wrecker to haul, tow, assist in clearing accidents, and generally relocates vehicles and equipment using rollback bed and moveable under reach and power winches and rigs various vehicles to be righted or towed using proper procedures; uses under reach to lift vehicles for towing; tows vehicles and equipment to designated locations; positions vehicles in work area. Operates Rollback Wrecker with a focus on safety to all and customer courtesy.
Duties and Responsibilities: A Driver’s job will consist of, but is not limited to the following.
- Towing, hauling, moving, uprighting, and recovering autos and other equipment and cargo
- Loading and unloading of vehicles, equipment and cargo
- Rigging out and securing of equipment to facilitate safe movement
- Clearing accidents from streets and highways involving vehicles
- Performs inspections of vehicle and equipment to be moved for loose parts, damaged and worn tires, and any other items affecting the safe towing, moving, and uprighting of equipment.
- Plan routes and safely meet delivery schedules
- Complete all required company and customer documentation (paper and digital)
- Perform daily vehicle and equipment pre-trip inspections and post-trip inspections, trip sheets, and work/rest logs as required.
- Performing minor maintenance/repair tasks when necessary
- Keep assigned vehicle clean inside and out
- All other duties as assigned
- Able to meet all physical requirements of job
- Possess a current driver’s license with an acceptable driving record
- Must have three years verifiable commercial driving history
- Minimum of one-year Light Duty Wrecker experience or equivalent
- Verifiable stable work history
- Clean drug and alcohol background check
- Able to work periodic nights and weekends
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: A driver’s job will include, but is not limited to.
- Able to read, write, speak and understand English to communicate effectively
- Must be able to read and understand the rules and regulations set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and the Department of Transportation.
- Ability to prepare concise and accurate paperwork and record keeping requirements (both written and digital)
- Extensive knowledge of the safe operation and features of assigned vehicle including the functions, capabilities, operations, operating principles, hazards, safety precautions, load securement, and rigging.
- Have a basic understanding of truck maintenance and have the ability to perform minor truck repairs
- Skilled in reasoning with the ability to interpret policies, procedures, maps, and directions.
- Adaptability and foresight to handle unexpected situations (traffic, weather conditions, etc.)
- Have interpersonal skills that foster and create positive customer and co-worker relationships.
- Must be able to sit (driving) for long periods of time, with intermittent rest periods
- Must be able to reach overhead
- Lift 50-75 pounds frequently, on a daily basis
- Must be able to squat, bend, climb, pull, and twist body daily
- Must be able to push/pull and use hands for fine manipulation
- Must be able to withstand prolonged walking and standing
- Able to withstand prolonged exposure to extreme outdoor climate (heat/cold)