Performs duties relating to the cutting, preparation, display, and selling of meat products. Works to maintain attractive fully stocked butchery displays. All Sayar Market jobs require ensuring a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient service to customers and Team Members at all times. Team Members must be prepared and able to perform the duties inherent in other Team Member job descriptions if called upon. All positions must strive to support Sayar Market core values and goals, promote store initiatives, and ensure adherence to all applicable health and safety regulations including Food Safety and regulatory duties.
- Cuts, platters, and merchandises products (beef, lamb, veal, goat, poultry).
- Prepares specialty meat merchandise (i.e. sausage, oven ready products, etc).
- Receives and checks product to make sure it meets quality standards.
- Monitors and reports on inventory and assists in preventing spoilage.
- Arrives to work station on time, appropriately groomed, dressed and ready to work; works all scheduled shifts and attends required training and meetings.
- Provides excellent customer service, addresses needs of customers in a timely and effective manner and models suggestive selling techniques; answers phones and pages promptly and courteously.
- Maximizes sales potential through effective and proper procedures for prepping, storing, rotating, stocking, and merchandising product.
- Follows and complies, or ensures compliance, with established procedures, including Weights and Measures, health and sanitation, and safe work practices.
- Maintains, or ensures maintenance of, a clean and sanitary working and shopping environment; maintains equipment in accordance with Sayar Market cleanliness and safety standards.
- Performs opening, mid, and closing duties as assigned including cleaning protocols
- Ensures accuracy of signs and pricing.
- Immediately reports safety hazards and violations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by store leadership.
- Working understanding of Meat and Butchery processes and procedures
- Excellent cutting skills with the ability to break product down into sub-primal and retail cuts including the use of saws, knives and grinders
- Extensive knowledge of different cuts and cooking techniques of meat and poultry.
- Ability to visually examine products for quality and freshness.
- Capable of accessing information about market conditions and communicating this information to customers.
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Ability to deliver information in a clear and respectable manner to fellow Team Members, customers, and vendors.
- Ability to meet customer service expectations and standards in all interactions with customers, vendors, and Team Members.
- Ability to follow directions and procedures; effective time management and organization skills.
- Passion for natural foods and the mission of Sayar Food Market.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a sense of urgency.
- Understanding of and compliance with Sayar Food Market quality goals.
Job Type: Full-time
- raw meat cutting: 1 year
- prior butchery: 1 year
- retail meat cutting: 1 year
Must be able to lift 50+ pounds.
In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing and pulling.
Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting, lifting and reaching.
Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40 degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
Ability to use tools and equipment, including box cutters, pallet jacks, meat saw, grinder and other heavy machinery.
Note: The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. This document does not reflect all job duties or requirements for every position. Requirements build as one progresses through the job levels, so any job duties required at a lower level may be required at the higher level in addition to the duties listed for that higher level. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business conditions, departmental or geographic location, and/or needs for the particular position. An individual must demonstrate successful performance in their current position before being considered for promotion. In addition, in order to promote into a higher-level position, a business need for the promotion must exist and the candidate must be considered the most qualified person for the new position. Completion of certain milestones such as obtaining an advanced degree or certification, time in current position, or developing skills to perform at the higher-level role do not guarantee a promotion.
At Sayar Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Sayar Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.