Position Summary (Purpose)
The In-patient staff RN at The Colony ER Hospital cares for adult patients of all ages. The In-patient staff RN will strive to provide proficient, competent care while maintaining the patient’s sense of comfort and dignity.
• 2 years minimum RN staff experience
• Successful completion of clinical orientation with proven capabilities in skill, knowledge base and vision of The Colony ER Hospital
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with current Texas licensure with the Texas State Board of Nursing. License must be in good standing
• Current BLS and ACLS certificates
• Current NIH Stroke Scale certification
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding (as outlined in clinical competencies review) of:
o Age-specific care of patients
o Understanding of family dynamics and appropriate interaction
o Clinical competencies in abnormal lab or test values, medications and interactions
o Required to pass the Moderate Sedation Test by 80%
Essential Job functions and responsibilities
• Assess, plan, implement and evaluate care of patients
• Meet and maintain the Nursing Standards of Practice for The Colony ER Hospital
• Responsible for providing monitored medical or surgical nursing care to patients
• Participate in activities to plan, measure, assess and improve the quality of patient care
• Carry out orders by physician accurately and efficiently
• Identify emergencies and provide necessary intervention when indicated
• Show leadership and direction with co-workers and other staff members
• Communicate appropriately with patients and co-workers
• Show knowledge when collaborating with physicians, nurses and other clinical faculty in making decisions about patient care
• Lab: show knowledge and competencies in lab duties
o Perform laboratory patient testing and reporting as assigned by the Laboratory Director
o Perform laboratory tests as described in the Laboratory Procedure Manual.
o Maintain a current Procedure Manual
o Collect appropriate specimens from patients
o Prepare or instruct patients for specimen collection in age appropriate dialog
o Prepare specimens to be sent out to a reference laboratory
o Follow all laboratory safety policies and procedures
o Run controls and document as described in the QC Policy
o Calibrate all laboratory instruments, where applicable, as described in the Laboratory Policy and Procedures Manual
o Maintain all laboratory instruments as indicated by the manufacturers. In the event of instrument failure, follow the manufacturer’s trouble-shooting procedures
o Maintain laboratory safety equipment in proper working order to ensure their effectiveness and maintain personal protection supplies as needed
o Maintain all laboratory work surfaces; clean and disinfect against potentially infectious material.
o Maintain all laboratory records as described in the Laboratory Policy and Procedures Manual.
o Make all laboratory records and documents available for inspection by the Laboratory Director, Technical Consultant, or COLA Inspectors
o Order laboratory supplies as needed to ensure that laboratory functions and services will not be interrupted
• All other duties as assigned
• Constant: Vision (close, distance, color, peripheral, depth and ability to adjust focus); Hearing; Speaking; Use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; Walk; Sit; Balance; Repetitive motions; Using arm, leg and back muscles for extended periods.
• Frequent: Bend, Squat, Twist, Push/Pull up to 20 pounds without assistance; up to 50 with assistance; Lift/Carry up to 20 pounds without assistance; up to 50 pounds with assistance
• Occasional: Climb, Kneel, Crouch, Distinguish Colors, Exposure to noise/high-pitched noise, Exposure to hazards, allergens, toxins/chemicals/detergents/radiation
• Rarely: Exposure to potential electric shock; Work in confined area
• Other: Must be able to wear personal protective equipment, including gloves, gowns, goggles, masks.
• Potential exposure to communicable disease.
• Potential for cuts and bruises.
• OSHA Category I: Normal routine involves exposure to blood, bodily fluid or tissue and as part of their employment.