US Lacrosse, the national governing body of lacrosse, announces an opening for a mid-experienced Major Gifts Officer working as part of the Foundation Team. The successful candidate is a self-starting, relationship builder that can work independently and travel frequently. We are looking for an individual that embodies “The USL Way” by positively influencing the sport and each other, providing outstanding service, being creative and innovative, practicing purposeful collaboration, being humble and honest and having fun! If you believe you can bring your own unique spirit, then US Lacrosse is the place to be.
ABOUT US LACROSSE:
US Lacrosse, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, is the national governing body of men’s and women’s lacrosse and the home of the nation’s fastest-growing team sport. US Lacrosse coordinates all activities of the U.S. National Teams Program and has nearly 450,000 members across the country. Through responsive and effective leadership, US Lacrosse provides programs and services to inspire participation while protecting the integrity of the sport.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All applicants must submit a brief cover letter, resume and minimum salary requirements to be considered for the position directly via gethired.com to ensure completion of application even if applying through another site. Relocation expenses are generally not included for USL job openings.
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) is directly responsible for the strategic oversight of relationships with a defined number of Major Donor prospects (with a capacity to give in excess of $1,000 annually), with a goal of inspiring new levels of engagement, commitment, and philanthropic support. The MGO is responsible for managing a portfolio of major gift donors and prospective donors.
Expected Hours of Work:
US Lacrosse core business hours are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on Saturday. This position is generally expected to work 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday - Friday but regularly requires flexible hours, evening and weekend work as related to events, travel and other business needs.
Travel is frequently required including overnight accommodations.
Lacrosse experience is not required for this position. Knowledge of youth sports is preferable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Collaborate effectively with Foundation and other USL staff on high-end giving strategies.
· Manage relationships with a portfolio of major gift donors and prospective donors, which includes the identification, cultivation, and stewardship of donors and potential donors.
· Create well-written gift proposals and related documents to support the major gift fundraising activities.
· Complete prospect tracking reports and ensure CRM system records reflect prospects’ relationships with the organization. This includes tracking all contact with the donor/prospect, as well as their propensity to support certain areas of mission work.
· Work to identify new major gift prospects through communication with the Foundation Team, Partnerships and other USL departments.
· Work with the Director of Development and Sr. Manager, Donor Relations to develop a strategic plan for Major Gift prospect designation and stewardship, with the following goals:
1. Selecting Major Gift prospects for cultivation
2. Building relationships with Major Donor prospects
3. Soliciting Donations from Major Gift Donors
4. Designing a Major Gift Donor Stewardship program
· Transitioning first-time donors participating in The National Campaign for Lacrosse to US Lacrosse Annual Fund donors and identifying those capable of making significant gifts to key US Lacrosse initiatives.
· Attend Board meetings two times a year.
· Work and staff Foundation events as requested and required and regularly attend US Lacrosse events.
· Responsible for staffing booths and exhibits at events for extended periods of time.
Core values & Competencies:
· We Influence – Written and Verbal Communication
· We Serve - Customer Focused
· We Create & Innovate - Creativity
· We Collaborate – Peer Relationships
· We are Humble & Honest – Integrity and Trust
· We Embrace Individuality – Diversity
· We Have Fun - Humor
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Required Education and Experience:
· 3+ years proven success in development or a related field; experience and knowledge of working with fundraising software or comparable database applications required and must be proficient in manipulating donor data for analysis and reporting.
· Thorough knowledge of fundraising principles and measurable record of organizing and implementing fundraising activities.
· Proven track record of fundraising success in personal solicitations.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, with a philosophy of teamwork and hands-on implementation.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion.
· Professional credibility.
· Ability to support both individuals and groups of donors; demonstrated commitment to working with and motivating a diverse range of people.
· Professional appearance required.
· Team-oriented but must be self-motivated.
· Ability to speak persuasively about the mission of US Lacrosse.
Preferred Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred in business, finance, communication or equivalent related work experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
· Regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions, including occasional extreme temperatures
· Lift and move boxes, supplies and equipment up to 20-30lbs.
· Will experience prolonged sitting, keying of data and speaking on the phone
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
US Lacrosse Inc is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled