- Winner of Canada's Top 100 Employers 2021!
- Do you want to make a difference in your community?
- 3 month Full-Time Temporary and Casual Positions with the possibility of extension.
- 4 day weekday, 10 hours per day (either 6am-4pm or 7am-5pm) with an occasional evening shift
- $20 p/h + 4% vacation pay
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB) is a non-profit organization with a mission to provide healthy food to those in need. The GVFB provides support to more than 8,500 people weekly across Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and the North Shore. We also provide food support to approximately 80 community agencies throughout these communities, such as housing agencies, women and children’s shelters and after school programs, who in turn provide meals and snacks to thousands of people each week.
Our vision is to create healthy communities through fair and effective food systems. Currently, the GVFB receives, purchases and distributes 4.5M lbs of food each year.
The GVFB is a proud winner of Canada's Top 100 Employers 2021! Recognized for our resilience during the Covid-19 pandemic and how our response was immediate, with the health and safety of our employees as the top priority. In addition to offering an exceptional workplace for our employees and providing the most progressive and forward-thinking programs.
The GVFB is a certified Living Wage Employer! This recognizes the GVFB’s commitment to paying fair wages, upholding good work standards for our employees and contributing to poverty reduction and a higher standard of living in our community.
Come and enjoy working in an award winning workplace! We provide a modern and inclusive office environment, with excellent Skytrain accessibility and free parking.
The GVFB is looking for a Full-Time Temporary and Holiday Drivers who can commit for a two to three month period with a start date of December 1st. The Driver is responsible for collecting food from donor location for delivery to our community distribution sites. A positive attitude and solid understanding of building/filling orders and general warehouse operations is key to being successful in this role.
- Operate and drive vans, light/medium trucks to pick up and deliver food products as scheduled;
- Prepare pallets, wrap and weight all completed orders and stage in the allocated areas for delivery;
- Ensure functional areas are kept clean, tidy and organized at all times;
- Receive, unload and put away incoming products into inventory;
- Inspect inbound and outbound shipments for accuracy, defects or damages;
- Ensure all outbound orders are checked, accurate and complete before distribution;
- Ensure all product returns are put away correctly in the warehouse, following internal processes. This includes supplies, waste streams, fresh, dry and frozen product, following all predetermined staging areas;
- Assist and provide training to new employees as required (job duties, internal and external training, safety procedures and policies);
- Perform pre-trip inspection of the vehicle to ensure safety and reliability. Fuel trucks at card-lock locations;
- Report mechanical problems or concerns with Fleet Manager;
- Report inconsistencies with Driver Team Leads or Operations Manager;
- Provide relief to other food bank drivers as required. Assist in other areas of the warehouse as required;
- Organize food in the vans or light trucks to maximize efficiency and load distribution;
- Regular Warehouse week cleaning of all vehicles.
Personal attributes and core skills
- Communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization;
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal;
- Excellent time management skills.
Qualifications and experience
- Must have a BC Class 5 or 3 clean driving license;
- 3+ years clean driving experience with commercial vehicles;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suits;
- Flexibility around work hours, to include evenings and weekends as required, shifts may be subject to change.
- Experience working or driving for non-profit organizations is advantageous.
- Exposure to ambient temperatures and noisy conditions;
- Proper safety footwear required;
- The ability to walk and stand throughout the shift;
- Bending and lifting boxes up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
We are actively recruiting for this position for a December 1st start date and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF document indicating your preference for a Full-Time Temporary or Holiday position.
An ICBC report will be requested at the interview stage, to include (driver factor report, drivers abstract, commercial driving record if applicable, 5 years insurance and claims history record).
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring.
Due to high volume applications, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.