Intake Associate (LIHEAP)
Founded in 1965 as part of the War on Poverty, Worcester Community Action Council (WCAC) is one of 1,000 community action agencies across the U.S. and 23 in Massachusetts created to address disparities throughout the nation.
Our values of advancing equitable access, elevating all voices and partnering with people are embedded in the role we play as the federally designated anti-poverty agency for Central and South-Central Massachusetts. WCAC embodies service to the community through our Mission: Helping people move to economic self-sufficiency through programs, partnerships, and advocacy.
Our vision is to break the cycle of poverty one neighbor at a time. Through safety-net services and asset building solutions, WCAC creates economic mobility opportunities for tens of thousands of people annually through programs such as energy assistance, early education and care, financial empowerment, positive youth development, and career pathways.
WCAC is committed to being a responsible and inclusive partner through strong collaboration and a shared client perspective. We are committed to advocating for policies that create equitable access to education, health, social, and economic systems. We are committed to a workplace culture with a shared passion for our mission that promotes teamwork, respect, and the opportunity to make a difference.
WCAC’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), best known as fuel assistance or home heating assistance, helps homeowners and renters pay home heating bills, past due balances on utility bills, and in some cases receiving forgiveness credit and making monthly payments. Financial assistance is available for income-eligible households to help pay home heating bills.
WCAC seeks to hire a cohort of Intake Associates to provide exceptional customer service to income-eligible households who are applying for Fuel and Heating Assistance throughout the year. The successful candidate will have excellent attention to detail, a strong work ethic and a willingness to assist clients from all backgrounds. Data entry, computer skills and customer service experience are required. Bilingual individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Full-time positions are available offering an excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement plan with Agency contribution, flexible spending account, paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform general reception duties: greet clients, and visitors, answer telephone, transfer calls, and file processed paperwork.
- Respond to general questions relative to the LIHEAP program.
- Perform intake of applications and enter data. Successfully complete all applications to the point of pending certification.
- Distribute LIHEAP paperwork and file the client and program related records.
- Provide accurate program information and arrange appropriate referrals to other programs and agencies to applicants and visitors contacting the agency.
- Place outgoing telephone calls to clients as needed for program compliance.
- Assist in generating program related notices and reports.
- Assist in sorting, opening, date-stamping, and filing incoming and outgoing mail and documents.
- Provide backup to the front desk assisting clients and answering phones when needed.
- Attend trainings and meetings with the LIHEAP team.
- Work toward learning application certification.
- High School Diploma or GED/ HiSET equivalent required.
- Ability to handle incoming and outgoing calls for the agency and to greet clients and visitors.
- Excellent organizational and computer skills, including all systems used within the agency and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to speak and write in languages in addition to English a plus.
- Strong communication skills and experience dealing with customers in person preferred.
Send cover letter and resume specifying position via email to email@example.com or to the Human Resource Department, Worcester Community Action Council, 484 Main St, 2nd Floor, Worcester, MA 01608.
Worcester Community Action Council, Inc. is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, membership in the uniformed services or any other classification which is protected under state or federal law.