Work involves providing routine medical attention to patients with work performed under the general supervision of an attending Physician or Nurse Practitioner. Provides prescribed medical treatment, personal care services, and prevention education to patients in the central service site or satellite clinics by performing the following duties. Also provide Covid-19 testing to patients as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Greet patients and answer telephones.
2. Records patient’s medical history and vital signs and prepares patients for examination. Assist physician or nurse practitioner during examinations, instruct patients about medications and special diets.
3. Cleans and dresses wounds, collect samples, such as urine, blood, and specimens from patients for testing and performs routine laboratory tests.
4. Observes patient and reports adverse reactions of medication or treatment to medical personnel in charge.
5. Administers specified medications, orally or by subcutaneous or intramuscular injections, and notes time and amount on patient charts.
6. Responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of clinical area.
7. Sterilizes equipment and supplies, inventories and requisitions supplies.
8. Arranging examining rooms, instruments, and equipment and generally keeping examining rooms neat and clean.
9. Refers patients to Physician for consultation or to specialized health resources for treatment.
10. Assists in patient intake, eligibility determination, scheduling appointments, data entry, billing, payment collection, Medicaid referral authorizations, and patient follow-up.
11. Handle clinical and administrative correspondence.
12. Travel between the clinical sites to work as needed.
13. Responsible for the preparation and maintenance of patient records.
14. Drug inventory/ as well as Emergency Drug Inventory.
15. Assist with ordering supplies.
16. Documentation of refrigerator and freezer temps daily.
17. Documentation in hospitalization logs, diagnostic testing and referral logs.
18. Documentation with no open orders left in EMR.
19. Ensure that tobacco and depression screenings are completed on each patient and entered into the EMR system each visit.
20. Perform additional duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Program: Certification required.
Minimum of 2 years of experience and/or training as a Clinical Medical Assistant.
Clinical and administrative skills necessary to ensure excellent patient care and the smooth, efficient operation of the office.
A valid Alabama Driver’s license and insurable driving record as travel between the clinical sites to cover shifts will be required.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Work experience should demonstrate effectiveness in providing medical care to a lower-income population group, and in working with other health care providers in establishing continuity of care.
Ability to organize, communicate effectively and knowledge of general corporate operations are a must.