Visitor Services Agent - Driver
Maryland Zoo is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled
General Summary: The Visitor Services Agent - Driver is responsible for safely transporting guests between designated areas in company registered vehicles and equipment in a manner which promotes a positive Zoo experience and demonstrates unparalleled customer service. This position requires a flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays, and special events. The Visitor Services Agent – Driver, will report directly to the Director of Visitor Services Operations and Visitor Services Manager(s). This position is not responsible for performing maintenance or repairs on equipment.
● To transport guests safely to and from designated locations on shuttles, mobility vehicles,
● Drive vehicle in compliance with all state driver's licensing requirements, department, and zoo wide safety policies;
● A secondary assignment may include operating the carousel, golf carts, gator, trash truck and refuse vehicle
● Interact in a consistently pleasant and helpful manner to fellow employees, guests, vendors, and other visitors of the Zoo and demonstrate the highest standards of internal and external customer service;
● Assist with completing daily operations checklist on zoo shuttle and train;
● Use train and shuttle intercoms to greet and welcome guests, provide safety instructions, and make any other necessary announcements;
● Monitor guests’ behavior to ensure their safety on and around the shuttle, train, mobility vehicle and carousel;
● Load and unload responsibilities associated with Zoo shuttle, train, mobility vehicle and carousel;
● Safely and efficiently assist with operating assigned equipment;
● Ensure cleanliness of all shuttle vehicles and equipment and train, including shuttle and train stops and surrounding areas;
● Provide guest control, including challenging situations;
● Provide guests with information on all aspects of the Zoo experience such as exhibits, on-ground activities (including times and locations), routes through the Zoo, construction, shuttle, train, and membership information;
● Assist with snow removal as needed:
● Monitor and validate memberships of guests at the Zoo entrance as needed;
● Perform other duties as assigned; and,
● Adhere to all policies and procedures of the Zoo.
Communication (Internal and External):
● Responsible for keeping Director, Managers, and Supervisors fully updated on any issues that may occur during daily operations;
● Report safety matters to management and/or security immediately;
● Respond appropriately to guests’ questions, comments, or concerns;
● Communicate with Zoo staff by radio contact as needed following proper radio etiquette and protocol at all times; and,
● Contact an appropriate staff member necessary to resolve guest issues.
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
● Assist in maintaining accurate documentation in compliance with safety standards to include daily checklists, maintenance logs, and training hours logs; and,
● Distribute Zoo literature, including but not limited to: maps, event flyers and comment cards, while maintaining accurate supply of the same.
● Friendly and outgoing;
● Possess a positive and patient attitude;
● Possess excellent verbal communication skills; and,
● Adaptability- Willingness to work until the last guest has left Zoo grounds each scheduled day.
● High School Diploma or equivalent.
● Must be 21 years old and possess a valid driver’s license.
● Must be able to stand and remain active for an eight hour shift;
● Must be able to walk large areas of the Zoo as needed;
● Must be able to work in an outdoor weather environment in all seasons and weather, including heat/humidity, cold temperatures, and/or wet conditions;
● Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays, and special events; and,
● Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force to lift, push, pull, carry, or otherwise move objects.
● Must be able to operate a variety of equipment including but not limited to shuttles, mobility vehicle, train, carousel, golf carts, gator, trash truck, refuse truck, two-way radio, telephone, etc.
● Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds; and,
● Ability to identify and resolve guest issues.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified. Therefore,
management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position