DEPARTMENT: Construction, Coweta County Water, and Sewerage Authority
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for supervising and participating in the work of a construction crew.
- Supervises an assigned crew of personnel.
- Operates heavy equipment.
- Supervises the operation of a directional boring unit.
- Installs water meters.
- Repairs water leaks.
- Establishes safe work zones, including traffic control devices; flags traffic as needed.
- Completes required reports.
- Repairs landscaping.
- Oversees the maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
- Coordinates materials and supplies for each job assignment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Asset in the maintenance of the sewer system.
- Installs water mains.
- Required to be on call.
- Installs sewer systems/ sewer mains.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of Water and Sewerage Authority standards and practices.
- Knowledge of water system construction principles, practices, and materials.
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance and operation.
- Skill in prioritizing and organizing work.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to read and understand blue prints.
- Ability the obtain Distribution License within one year of hire date.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Construction Manager assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include utility protection laws, standard operating procedures, safety guidelines, and traffic control procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of related supervisory and construction duties. Heavy traffic and inclement weather contribute to the complexity of the position.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to supervise and participate in the work of a construction crew. Successful performance results in an efficient and well-maintained water system.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, representatives from other public utilities, and members of the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, motivate personnel, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and must distinguish between shades of color.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office, stockroom, warehouse, and outdoors. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, irritating chemicals, and occasional cold or inclement weather. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position has direct supervision over an assigned crew of personnel.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years of experience or service.
- Possession of a Class A CDL driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.