The Preschool & Children’s Minister is responsible to the church, under the direction of the Discipleship and Connections Minister for developing and leading a comprehensive, biblically-based ministry for children – birth through 5th grade. The role is designed to fit within the overall church vision for spiritual formation of our preschoolers and children that is biblical, comprehensive, and consistent with an approach to equip parents to be the primary disciple-makers of their children.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES may include but are not limited to the following:
- Plan specific ministry activities and programs to meet the needs of children and their families.
- Ensure that all children’s educational materials are Biblically-based, age-appropriate, and BBC approved.
- Coordinate recruiting, screening, and training of all children’s workers.
- Plan and conduct leadership training for new teachers and volunteers and continued training for experienced leadership.
- Enlist, train, and manage volunteer teachers for all preschool and children care needs and activities as approved by WF ministry staff team.
- Identify, hire, and manage the appropriate levels of paid preschool staff.
- Due to the Part-Time nature of this position, this individual is expected to form, equip, train, and utilize Preschool and Children’s Ministry teams to aid in adequate implementation. This position will also have the availability (in many cases) to manage and oversee a ministry intern.
- Serve as a counselor with children and families in matters of salvation, baptism and in matters of personal and family concerns.
- Provide pastoral care for those serving in preschool and children’s ministries.
- Oversee the Preschool & Children’s Ministry budget.
- Using current campus objectives and goals, work with WF ministry team and campus and teaching pastor to include children’s ministry functions as part of the strategy.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES may include but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate with WF Ministry Team to develop a comprehensive, birth – high school discipleship plan.
- Collaborate with Preschool and Children’s and other Next Gen ministers at other BBC campuses on a regular basis for general feedback, ideas, and counsel.
- Give planning and direction to special children’s ministry events such as Vacation Bible School, Camps, and Mission efforts.
- Attend all required staff meetings and complete forms and reports in a timely and concise manner.
- Must have flexibility to accept and execute other duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES AND TRAITS: In addition to the specific responsibilities required for this role, Brentwood Baptist Church also seeks candidates that possess some general competencies and behavioral traits that enhance the effectiveness of our staff.
- Effective in directing both resources and volunteers towards the accomplishment of goals
- Maximizes personal effectiveness by focusing on “must-dos” tasks
- Anticipates/avoids problems or formulates creative solutions
- Makes timely decisions that produce quality outcomes
- Demonstrates flexibility, adapts well to changing priorities or situations
- Self-directed and proactive in accomplishing tasks without significant oversight
- Is willing to take on additional responsibilities with a “can-do” attitude
- Collaborates well with others to accomplish group tasks
- Clearly conveys expectations and priorities to volunteers
- Uses written and verbal communication in a way that accomplishes intended results
- Adheres to commitments, schedules, and deadlines
- Functions well in a team environment, regularly shares information and solicits feedback from others
- Demonstrates Christ-likeness and a commitment to personal spiritual growth
- Leads volunteers by serving and not by asserting control
- Utilizes emotional intelligence, is emotionally available to those he/she leads
- Invests in the development of others around him/her
- Prioritizes and accomplishes self-development goals
- Demonstrates an ongoing commitment to obtaining the necessary knowledge, attitudes, skills and habits necessary to be successful in this role
- Teachable spirit with a desire to learn and grow
- The gap between the current job description and the employee’s current abilities is appropriate and allows for future growth
- A personal sense of calling from God to vocational Christian ministry in general and to this area of ministry.
- Can identify closely with the mission, values, vision, theology, philosophy, and methodology of Brentwood Baptist Church.
- A mature Christian who is demonstrates the Fruits of the Spirit, is growing in their faith and is committed to spiritual disciplines such as Bible reading, prayer.
- The proven ability to identify, equip and lead a team of volunteers.
- Ability to collaborate, cooperate and function well in a team environment.
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to form and lead volunteer teams by casting vision and organizing skills and talents of team members.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience ministering or serving in a volunteer leadership role with preschool and/or children in a local church setting.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
All campuses function under the governance of Brentwood Baptist Church. Each campus is an established entity operating as a whole and permanent part of the Brentwood Baptist. Each maintains pre-determined alignment characteristics that uphold the Brentwood Baptist “DNA” while also containing some contextualized characteristics to allow it to best reach its target local community. Every staff member is an employee of Brentwood Baptist.
Brentwood Baptist Church is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled