Position: Nurse Aide - COVID Unit
Salary Range: $30.00 - $36.00/hour
Location: Vincentian Home (North Hills)
Summary: This position is part of our Clinical Excellence Rapid Response Team (CERRT) which is a team of dedicated employees who are willing and able to provide direct clinical care for residents who are facing a clinical crisis. At this time, the CERRT team is specifically related to caring for residents with either suspected or positive test results for COVID-19. The position works closely with the Vice President of Clinical Excellence and infection preventionists from throughout the Vincentian system.
The CERRT team is required to comply with infection prevention policies and guidelines, including use of PPE.
This position requires the ability to work regular shifts ranging from 8 to 12 hours of direct resident care.
The Nurse Aide on the CERRT team provides direct care to residents which includes personal hygiene, dressing, feeding, transporting and restorative care. Documents resident care as required. Communicates effectively with residents, family members, and staff. Assists other members of the nursing staff with duties related to the ongoing needs of the residents according to established standards.
It is the duty of all employees to promote and support a resident centered care environment that ensures the treatment of all residents, family members, visitors, fellow employees and customers with kindness, respect, and dignity.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
1. Commits to the Vincentian Collaborative System (VCS) mission to nurture and sustain a ministry of compassionate care that preserves the human dignity of persons within a diverse and changing society.
2. Upholds and promotes the VCS values of spirituality, compassion, quality, dignity, collaboration, advocacy and stewardship.
3. Promotes and supports a resident centered care environment that ensures the treatment of all residents, family members, visitors, fellow employees and customers with kindness, respect, and dignity.
4. Adheres to all facility and department work rules, policies and procedures.
5. Performs specific technical procedures in accordance with standards of practice.
6. Provides general care to residents including bathing and dressing. Assures residents are properly and comfortably clothed at all times. Administers shampoos and hair care, shaves residents, trims nails, and assists residents with personal and dental hygiene. Makes beds and organizes resident’s room.
7. Assists residents to and from bathrooms and provides assistance as necessary. Offers bedpans and urinals and assures incontinent residents are clean and dry, changing linens as needed. Encourages showers and other self-help measures and activities.
8. Compares diet trays with diet orders before serving, serves trays, feeds residents as necessary and removes trays. Assists with or provides personal care after meals. Transports residents, who are able, to the dining room and supervises/assists them while dining. Serves nourishment and fresh water.
9. Transports residents as needed.
10. Observes and reports pertinent information related to resident care to the Charge Nurse or Nursing Supervisor.
11. Maintains neatness of resident care areas.
12. Documents necessary information reflecting resident care.
13. Completes specific nursing and restorative assignments per nursing unit routine.
14. Performs resident transfers with assistive devices within proper guidelines and scope of practice.
15. Communicates effectively with resident’s family members and members of the health care team.
16. Attends required educational programs and unit staff meetings.
17. Assists in orientation of new personnel as assigned.
18. Prepares residents for appointments and/or transportation involving physicians, therapists and other staff as appropriate.
19. Assists with and/or performs procedures, with proper instruction and supervision, such as: admitting, transferring, discharging residents; taking temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, weights and measurements, measuring and recording intake and output; collecting specimens such as urine or stool; exercise; and assists with care of dying and deceased. Assures safety devices and precautions are being utilized; room temperature is compatible with residents needs; and assists nurses in giving treatments and examining residents.
20. Observes residents for physical and psychosocial needs, attitudes, reactions, appetites, etc., and reports unusual findings to the Charge Nurse or Nursing Supervisor.
21. Responds to resident call system.
22. Anticipates and takes action to maintain a safe environment. Incorporates safety/risk management standards into daily work practices.
23. Performs all other duties assigned by supervisor.
1. High school graduate or equivalent required.
2. Current active registration on file with the PA Nurse Aide Registry or in the process of training/certification.
3. Previous resident care experience or related training preferred.
This position is located on our COVID Unit which is specifically related to caring for residents who are facing a clinical crisis. At this time, the CERRT team is specifically related to caring for residents with either suspected or positive test results for COVID-19. This unit has very specific infection control procedures and PPE practices that must be followed.
Employees of a long term care facility work in a resident care environment that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year. Employees can be expected to be exposed to unpleasant odors and may encounter physically or verbally aggressive residents.
Working conditions include normal indoor temperatures. There may also be times when employees perform duties outdoors. Depending on the season, outdoor temperatures will vary.
Employees may come into contact with residents who have infectious diseases or to resident bodily fluids or blood. In addition, employees may come into contact with hazardous materials and facility equipment.
Vincentian is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Selected candidates will need to successfully complete pre-hire testing including, a drug test, physical exam, TB test and background check.