Located in Churchill, Manitoba, the polar bear and beluga whale capital of the world, the Tundra Inn & Pub is a unique and exciting setting to work in Northern Manitoba. Open seasonally, this hotel hosts travellers from around the world who are in search of the area's extraordinary polar bears, beluga whales, and northern lights. If you would like to see for yourself why Churchill is an exciting place to live, work, and play, join our team!
We are currently recruiting versatile , adventure seeking, experienced prep cooks to work in the Tundra Inn Pub on a full-time, term basis from July - November, 2023.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
As a key member of the kitchen team, the prep cook is responsible for preparing and portioning ingredients, cooking food, and plating dishes according to menu specifications, tracking inventory and following food safety practices. The prep cook maintains cleanliness and order, communicates with kitchen and serving staff, and ensures their workplace is compliant with provincial safety standards.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Post-secondary/vocational education/training in culinary arts or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- 1+ years’ experience cooking in a commercial kitchen.
- Valid FoodSafe, SafeCheck, Food Handler or equivalent certification is required
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in English; other languages are an asset.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- Excellent customer service skills, including interpersonal skills, empathy, and patience.
- Must be able to work individually and as part of a team.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Job is in Churchill, Manitoba, a remote, northern location.
- Commercial kitchen setting.
- Must be able to stand for 8-12 hours per day.
- Must be able to safely lift 23 kilograms (50 pounds).
- Must remain free of impairment from drugs, alcohol, or other mental and physical conditions while on duty and/or on call to work.
- The ability to travel to Churchill, Manitoba by air and/or train is required.
- Closed-toe, slip-resistant, comfortable footwear is required.
- Staff housing is available.
- Overtime may be required during evenings, weekends, and on holidays.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Tip Pool
- Casual dress
- Discounted or free food
- Company events
- On-site gym
- Housing allowance
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position