This position is responsible for all collection activities necessary to obtain full reimbursement and payment from patients and insurance payers. This position may be delegated additional responsibilities or special assignments by the Business Office Manager.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain and work all Surgery Center accounts.
2. Meet all collection activity schedules as established by the Manager.
3. Provide for completion of all collection activities as outlined in the policy manual.
4. Refer difficulties or problems involving collection efforts immediately to the Manager.
5. Project positive public relations when dealing with patients and / or payors.
6. Utilize collection evaluation tools regularly to assure cash collection goals.
7. Ensure accurate and timely filing of all secondary insurances.
8. Follow through to completion on all patient and insurance questions and problems. Ensure complete and proper documentation in system.
9. Monitor accuracy, timeliness and completeness of patient accounts, including: demographic, insurance, referral and pre-certification information.
10. Maintain complete and accurate files of all insurance information and contracts. Keep abreast of insurance changes and requirements. Ensure that up to date carrier information is maintained in the computer.
11. Assure that all computer report printouts for end of day/month are properly stored.
12. Maintain and handle maintenance of system relating to patient accounting. Run corresponding reports.
13. Audit all EOB's to assure accuracy of reimbursements and proper adjustments have been made. Complete all appeal processes.
14. Maintain expert knowledge of AIR System and AIR System reports.
15. Monitors AIR aging reports and works accounts accordingly to meet or exceed established benchmarks.
16. Provide administrative assistance to management team.
17. Assists in month end close.
18. Ensures confidential handling of Center financial information and adheres to HIPAA guidelines.
19. Assists in continuous quality improvement processes.
21. Perform all other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability require.
Must have knowledge of medical terminology. Demonstrates ability to work as a team member and to communicate directly and professionally. Must be flexible, reliable, productive, patient oriented and self motivated. Avoids being involved in gossip spreading or conversations that promotes discord with staff members. Maintains professional conduct and appearance.
Must be a high school graduate. Must have two years of experience in billing or patient account management collection in a hospital or physician practice. Must have demonstrated computer skills.